Westminster Presbyterian Church - Table of Contents

Interior - Westminster Presbyterian Church
724 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY

In 1903, the sanctuary was renovated by Tiffany Studios who stenciled Christian symbols in gold throughout: 13 around the chancel arch, 11 in the chancel, and 66 on wall panels.

Redecoration included the church windows and the electroliers.

The interior architecture was changed from Romanesque Revival to to English Tudor Gothic. Note, however, that the painted art work by Tiffany Studios is Art Nouveau style, a substyle, many would say, of Arts & Crafts.

In 1954, the Tiffany Studios-stenciled Christian symbols were painted over, but in 1992, Christian symbols around chancel arch and chancel were restored by Ingersoll Painting & Construction. Further, the walls and panels of the Sanctuary were brightened with a rich textured patina "red" with a golden "ochre" for the upper sections and, finally, the ceiling finished in a medium blue with stenciling to complement wall colors.

Stained Glass Windows

From 1931-1952, new Gothic-style windows were installed, replacing the handsome but plain Tiffany windows. The first window was contributed by the Richmond family.

Audio: John McClive, Holmes Chapel
Suggestion: Open a second window, access this page, listen to the audio, and click on windows that are described in the audio.

John McClive, Linking With the Comos in Sacred Places Correlates Westminster's art treasures with Gothic history




Chancel and nave in English Tudor Gothic style. Note pulpit at left of chancel and baptismal font at far left.



In 1992, the ceiling was finished in a medium blue with stenciling to complement wall colors.   ...  Roof is supported by hammer beam ceiling.



Chancel half-round apse, originally designed by Tiffany Studios, was restored in 1992. Note center stencil between the double Tudor arch. Ceiling was also repainted in 1992 restoration.



Detail from previous photo - center stencil between the double
Tudor arch

IC / XC / NI / KA: IC XC are abbreviations (in both Greek and Slavonic) for the name Jesus Christ. . NIKA is a Greek verb that means “conquers” (perhaps “is victorious” is better, though not as grammatically accurate).




 Stencils on chancel half-round apse and between the double Tudor arch were originally designed by Tiffany Studios in 1903 and restored in 1992



Detail from previous photo - stencil between the double Tudor arch



Cross on apse wall



Oak  chancel  wainscoting is ornamented with Venetian Gothic style arches   ...   Oak altar is ornamented with quatrefoil arches



Chancel  wainscoting is ornamented with Venetian Gothic style arches    ...   Needlepoint cushions on benches



Communion table is ornamented with quatrefoil arches



1872 marble baptismal font



Detail - 1872 marble
baptismal font


1967 pulpit, with bas-relief wood carving by Adlais Hardin



Pulpit detail - Good Samaritan



The 1903 rounded Romanesque style stained glass windows designed by
Tiffany Studios were replaced by pointed Gothic-style windows, 1931-1952



1992 covered
Tiffany Studios stencils between stained glass windows



1992 covered Tiffany Studios stencils



1903 electrolier designed by
Tiffany Studios


View of
nave and choir loft from the altar


Special thanks to Church Historian John McClive for his assistance in 2004

Photos and their arrangement 2004 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index....|.. E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.