Holy Family Church - Table of Contents
EXTERIOR - Holy
Family RC Church
Our Lady of Charity Parish
1885 South Park Avenue, Buffalo NY
Research by Maureen P. Evans
||William J. Conners, Sr.
house and barn (photo below)
at a cost of $200,000.
Romanesque Revival style is characterized by rounded arches and windows ... Details below, from the top down:
Copper cross finial atop octagonal roof ... Terra cotta roof tiles ... Onondaga limestone ... Modillions and corbel table support the two cornices on the belfry
Terra cotta roof tiles
Center bay, left: Modillions support gable roof ... Compound arch hoodmold
Tower, right: Corbel table supports the cornice below the belfry
Center bay, left: Modillions support gable roof ... Compound arch hoodmold over the stained glass wheel window
Compound arch hoodmold over the stained glass wheel window
Triple portal main entrance
Cushion capital decorated with acanthus leaves and Celtic knot
Two-sided cornerstone placed by Bishop Charles Colton on November 5, 1905 ... Colton dedicated the entire building on November 9, 1908 ... Note two crosses pattée
|West and north elevations
From left: South transept features three large stained glass windows above three smaller windows ... Four aisle stained glass windows ... Two bell towers .... Details below, from the left:
West elevation at left features a rounded apse where the main altar is located ... In Europe, the apse is usually located on the eastern side of the church, symbolically pointing to Jerusalem ... South transept features three large stained glass windows above three smaller windows (all of which depict female saints)
Apse and transept
Left: Transept ... Center: Four aisle windows ... Right: South bell tower ... Two details below:
Twp cornices supported by modillions ... Vertical pier buttresses flank round Romanesque stained glass window ... In early 11th-12th century Romanesque style churches, windows were much smaller than this size ... Decorative keystone in the middle of a stringcourse ... Stone sill ... Tracery defines the arcade window
Tower entrance ... Gable-shaped hoodmold above compound arch hoodmold ... Detail below:
Abacus: Celtic knot ... Crosses pattée
Corinthian capital: Acanthus leaves ... Volutes ... Fleurons
|Church and rectory
William J. Conners house, barn and greenhouse ... Purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Buffalo for Holy Family Church in 1902 for $20,000.
During July and August, Rev. John J. Nash held services in the spacious home while the barn was renovated for a church ...
Photo courtesy of Steve Cichon's Buffalo Stories
Earlier house and barn razed for current 1908 church and rectory ... Rectory designed by Max G. Beierl
Street corner in front of the church paved with Celtic knots as a nod to the historical importance of the Celtic-designed art in the church
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.