H. H. Richardson - Table of Contents
AKA Buffalo Psychiatric Center / Buffalo State Hospital / State Lunatic Asylum
400 Forest Avenue, Buffalo, NY
Landmark - Definition
Complex - Official Home Page
Douglas Jemal in Buffalo (online June 2022)
On Buffalo Architecture and History website:
Francis R. Kowsky, A Towering Masterpiece: H. H. Richardson's Buffalo State Hospital
Hannah Beckman, Buffalo Insane Asylum
Corey Fabian Borenstein, The Connector: The Distinctive Sandstone of the Richardson Olmsted Campus
Lalli & Rote, Buffalo Psychiatric Center
Adaptive Reuse photos 2014-16
July 28, 2017 enLIGHTen at Richardson Olmsted Campus
Jim Hodges, "Look and See"
H. H. Richardson's John Jacob Glessner House and Buffalo State Hospital Administration Building: A Comparison
On other websites:
Library of Congress, Buffalo State Hospital Photos and data (online October 2019)
NYSAAsylum, H. H. Richardson Complex (online October 2019)
The Richardson Olmsted Complex currently consists of a 100 acre site bordered by Forest Avenue to the south, Rees Street to the west, Rockwell Road to the north and Elmwood Avenue to the east, containing 38 buildings, parking lots, driveways and remnants of the historic landscape.
The complex as originally designed in 1872, began as a 203 acre site for the Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane. The name changed to Buffalo State Hospital in 1890 to reflect the changing developments in mental health. Reflecting continued transformation, the name changed again in 1972 to the Buffalo Psychiatric Center.