Charlotte Square - Table of Contents

Central Garden, West side exteriors - Charlotte Square
Edinburgh, Scotland

On this page, below:

Central Garden

West side, center - West Register, House

West side - Wings

2017 Photos
Central Garden
The central open space is a private garden, available to owners of the surrounding properties.



Prince Albert Memorial.
The commission for the sculpture was granted in 1865 to Sir John Steell. The main statue features an equestrian statue of the prince, in field marshal's uniform, dwarfing the four figures around the base. It was unveiled by Queen Victoria herself in 1876.









West Side, center  - West Register House


Center pavilion: West Register House    ...   Former St. George's Church



Former St. George's Church   ...   West Register House - archive building of the National Archive of Scotland    ...
 
"Robert Reid, 1811-14; gutted and reconstructed as registry office by R Saddler of Ministry of Public Building and Works, 1964-70. Square plan neo-classical former church with dome displaced to front and pavilions at each corner. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Broad flight of steps to tetrastyle Ionic  portico  in antis supporting balustrade, and containing 3 bays with arched smoked plate glass entrance at centre; flanking single bay pavilions with base course, recessed arch with rectangular window and oculus, impost course, blank frieze panels and panelled attic storey.

"Dome supported by massive square base and peristyle drum, every 4th bay blocked by niche, with balustrade, oculi and fluted
frieze to upper section; slender copper clad ribbed dome crowned by further (Tempietto?) lantern with gilded dome and cross. Side elevations with pair of large windows at centre and projecting 3-bay pavilions at rear with tripartite window in arched recess flanked by niches.

"Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Crown Property. Reid reinterpreted Robert Adam's design of 1791, in a bolder and simpler manner, with a Greek cross plan superimposed on a square; he planned clock stages for the pavilions.  The pavilion windows and oculi were opened up in 1964."
- Source: Historic Environment Scotland (online Jan. 2018)



West Register House   ...   Two more details below:



Vase-shaped balustrade



Panel decorated with a patera flanked by strigils



West side - Wings


West side elevations to the left of West Register House   ...   Same scene in different lighting, below:



West side elevations to the left of West Register House   ...   Details below:



Detail #1 - Large center double hung window is an alternative to a Palladian window




Detail #2 -
"[Late Georgian , 1765-1811:] Drawing room window sills on the floor above the entrance level are often very low, or at floor level, opening onto balconets or onto a balcony that runs across all the windows. To aid access, sash windows were replaced by French doors in the 1780s and 1790s. Variations on conventional sashes occur at the end of the century. Round-headed window openings become popular..." - "The Elements of Style: An Practical Encyclopedia of Interior Architectural Details from 1485 to the Present," Stephen Calloway and Elizabeth Cromley, ed. NY: Simon & Schuster, 1991, p. 143



Detail #3 -



Detail #4 -  Spiderweb muntins fanlight   ...   Side lights   ...   Rusticated walls



Left side:  West pavilions   ...   CenterNorth pavilions




Photos and their arrangement 2017 Chuck LaChiusa
...| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.