Episcopal Church of the Ascension - Table of Contents
|English country Gothic Revival|
|Gordon W. Lloyd (photo
1832–1905; English; moved to Detroit in 1858.
Popular architect of Episcopal churches and cathedrals in the region. Though his office was in Detroit, Lloyd lived across the river in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Other Linwood buildings
Historic plaque in front of the church ... Guide Board Road was changed to North Street in 1854 when the city's boundaries expanded to North Street. ... See map.
Medina sandstone sidewalk
Facade ... Guild House is located to the left (not in this photo):
Medina sandstone Guild House (Church to the right, not in this photo) ... 6 over 6 lights. First floor adds 6 over 6 transom lights
West transept and nave ... Vertical pier buttresses
Facade ... Gothic Revival ... Medina sandstone ... Cross pattée finial at top of roof ... 4-paneled geometric window ... Vertical pier buttresses
Voussoirs with end corbels ... Anthemion in tympanum ... Round stained glass window ... 4-paneled geometric lancet window ... Medina sandstone sill above corbeled stringcourse
Anthemion in tympanum
West elevation ... Vertical pier buttresses ... Belt course at right
Slate roof ... Bottom left: Vertical pier buttresses
West elevation ... Vertical pier buttresses ... West nave stained glass windows
East transept at right
East nave: Bishop's Window / Angelic Orchestra
East nave: Prodigal Son / Jesus Heals the Sick
East nave: St. George / Jesus with Mary and Martha
East elevation entrance ... Note basement lattice window at left bottom, detailed below:
Lattice window ... Gray outline is lead came.