Stained Glass - Table of Contents
J&R Lamb Studios Windows
in Western New York
J&R Lamb Studios, Inc. - Official Website
The J. & R. Lamb Studios was founded in 1857 and is the oldest decorative arts firm in continuous operation in the United States. It is now (2009) located at 436 West Main Street, Wyckoff, NJ.
The J&R Lamb Studios is the oldest decorative arts firm and multi-media guild in continuous operation in the United States and preceded the studios of both John LaFarge and Louis C. Tiffany.
The brothers Joseph Lamb (1833-1898) and Richard Lamb (1832-1909) founded the Studios in 1857 in New York City after leaving Lewisham, England. Joseph's son, Charles Rollinson Lamb (1860-1942), a renowned City Beautiful theorist and architect, greatly shaped the company's aesthetic and intellectual character and business direction. Lamb descendants ran the Studios until Karl B. Lamb's death.
In 1970, Lamb Studios artist Donald Samick bought the firm and remains its owner in 2009.
Many artists designed works for the Studios including celebrated painter Ella Grace Condie (1862-1936), who married Charles Lamb, and their daughter Katharine Lamb Tait (1895-1981).
Library of Congress Lamb Studios Archive
The online presentation of the Lamb Studios Archive offers images of nearly 2,500 design sketches for stained glass windows, murals, mosaics, furnishings, metalwork, and interior architecture. See previews
J& R Lamb artist: Katharine Lamb Tait
"Katharine Lamb Tait did several churches [in the Buffalo area], including the clerestory windows at the Episcopal Cathedral [in Buffalo]." - Donald Samick, Owner, J&R Lamb Studios.
Katharine Lamb Tait Biography
J& R Lamb artist: Margreta Overbeck
- Page 151 of Discovering Stained Glass in Detroit, by Nola Huse Tutag (Table of Contents at the bottom of the page): "The J&R Lamb Studios"
- Elizabeth Terry Rose, A Window on American Art: Symposium Focuses on J&R Lamb Studios
- 1906 ad
On Buffalo Architecture and History Website:
- Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd: Christ in the Temple
- St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral Clerestory Windows Designed by Katharine Lamb Tait
- Grace Episcopal Church, Lockport All windows in the church designed by Margreta Overbeck
- Church of the Advent, Kenmore All windows in the church
- Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation
- Delaware Avenue Baptist Church Interior design
On other Websites: