Buffalo Grain Elevator Preserve - Table of Contents   ............... Grain Elevators - Table of Contents 

General Mills and St. Mary's Elevators
By Dennis Galucki and Chuck LaChiusa
Center for the Study of Art, Architecture, History and Nature

On this page, below:

Frontier / Washburn Crosby / General Mills Elevators

Spencer Kellogg Elevator / Schaefer Brewing / St. Mary's Cement Elevator



2013 photo

Frontier / Washburn Crosby / General Mills Elevators

The large General Mills elevating and milling complex at 54 South Michigan Street began as a small Buffalo-owned elevator company, Frontier Elevator, incorporated by six local businessmen in 1886. The Frontier has a capacity of 4.75 million bushels and was the largest of Buffalo's 21 elevators in operation at the time.

In 1903 a new flour milling company came to buffalo from Minneapolis, the Washburn Crosby Company. The mill was built next to the Frontier on the site of the old Dakota Mill that had burned some years earlier. The company's tile storage tanks lacked marine legs. Washburn Crosby made an agreement with Frontier for unloading and transferring grain. In 1907 Washburn Crosby bought out Frontier.

In 1928 General Mills was organized in Buffalo with Washburn Crosby as its nucleus. The Buffalo operation has made the Gold Medal brand flour as well as Wheaties, Bisquick, Betty Crocker mixes and Cheerios (originally called Cheerioats).

By 1964, General Mills owned O-Cell-O, a manufacturer of synthetic sponges, and Kittinger Furniture.

Other elevator additions on the site were constructed of concrete, although the only remaining tile elevator in Buffalo is still part of the complex.

Sources:

  • Built in America
  • "Buffalo: Lake City in Niagara Land,"by Richard C. Brown and Bob Watson. USA: Windsor Publications, 1981
See also: HABS (online April 2014)


General Mills Elevator
2004 photos


General Mills framed by the Skyway



General Mills on Kelly Island ... Buffalo Ship Canal



General Mills



General Mills



General Mills



General Mills



General Mills




General Mills ...  Silos with mainhouse above



General Mills



General Mills



General Mills



General Mills



Spencer Kellogg Elevator / Schaefer Brewing / St. Mary's Cement Elevator
389 Ganson Street, Buffalo

Built 1910, 1923, 1936

The earliest elevator built on the Wadham Slip (later renamed the Spencer Kellogg Slip), was the wooden Coatsworth Elevator The second Coatsworth Elevator became the Kellogg "A" Elevator.

Spencer Kellogg's grandfather began milling linseed oil in 1824 in the Mohawk Valley near Amsterdam, New York.

Spencer Kellogg moved to Buffalo and, at age 28, built his first linseed oil mill in 1879. By 1894, he constructed a second mill, giving him a total of 36 presses, making his the largest linseed oil plant in the U.S. The company existed in Buffalo from 1879 to 1961, growing from a modest one-man operation to become a diversified international enterprise operating in eight states and several foreign countries.

The elevator consists of a large set of bins joined at the top through a 1917 transfer system to a small collection of bins on the south, with a gap of perhaps 150 feet between. The reason for this odd setup is that there was once a slip here underneath the transfer system (see photo showing the slip). Two vessels could be handled at the same time.

Instead of storing grain, the elevators now store cement.

- Sources:

Built in America
See also: HABS (online April 2014)
St. Mary's Cement Elevator


2013 photo



St. Mary's Cement Elevator  ... In 1917, a slip ran between the two elevators.  To connect the two, an overhead bridge  - a 1917 transfer system - was built. Two vessels could be handled at the same time.


St. Mary's Cement Elevator



St. Mary's Cement Elevator



St. Mary's Cement Elevator



St. Mary's Cement Elevator



St. Mary's Cement Elevator



Photos and their arrangement 2004 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.