History - Lafayette Avenue,
Buffalo, NY
|
HISTORY HIGHLIGHTS: 1825 - Revolutionary War hero General Lafayette (Marquis de Lafayette ) visits Buffalo. He receives a hero's welcome, as illustrated in the accompanying drawing by LeGrand St. John of the reception in front of the Eagle Tavern. See "Lafayette's Triumphal Tour of Buffalo and the Niagara Frontier," by Dr. Joseph A. Grande for more information. |
1825 Reception for the Marquis de Lafayette . |
1879 - Court House Park renamed Lafayette Square in honor of the Marquis's 1825 visit. Between 1878 and 1896 (date unsure), the Park Church Society Church, flanking the Square, was renamed Lafayette Presbyterian Church. For identification of the buildings in the accompanying photograph of the church and Square, see Courthouse Park / Lafayette Square - Photos and Postcards. |
|
1896 - Church sold and converted into a theatre after new church built on Elmwood and Bouck Avenues |
LAFAYETTE
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, NOW CONVERTED
INTO A THEATRE.
LAST USED FOR CHURCH SERVICE, MAY 10, 1896. Photo source: The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo, Frank H. Severance, ed. Buffalo Historical Society Publications, Vol. 16, 1912, p. 173 .
|
1896 - First service at Lafayette Presbyterian Church built on the corner of Elmwood and Bouck. 1896 - Bouck Street renamed Lafayette Avenue in honor of the congregation. See History of Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church for more information. |
West
elevation (on
Elmwood Avenue)
of Lafayette
Presbyterian
Church amid
pastures and
farms.
Bouck
Street/Lafayette
Avenue on the
right.
Photo source: Archives of Lafayette Presbyterian Church .
|