Hamlin Family - Table of Contents
Cicero Jabez Hamlin
Text reprinted from
Geneological and Family History of Western New York, ed. by William Richard Cutter, 1912, Vol. I, pp. 354-355
HAMLIN BLOCK, STORE OF BARNES, BANCROFT & CO., 1875
MUCH ENLARGED IN 1882; BURNED FEB. 1, 1888; SITE NOW OCCUPIED BY SWEENEY & CO.'S STORE.
Source: The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo, Frank H. Severance, ed. Pub. by the Buffalo Historical Society Publications, Vol. 16, 1912, p. 84, P. 85
1896 map - Source: U. of Texas
Shows Driving Park and uncovered Scajaquada Creek
Click on illustrations for larger size
Cicero Jabez, son of Rev. Jabez and Esther (Stow) Hamlin, was born on a mountain farm in Hillsdale, Columbia county, New York, bordering on the Massachusetts line, November 7, 1819, youngest of ten children, his only heritage being, he says, "sound health and good digestion."
In 1836 he came to East Aurora, Erie county, New York, where in 1839 he began keeping a general store. In 1846 he located in Buffalo, where he engaged in the dry goods business, a junior of the firm Wattles & Hamlin. In 1847 the firm dissolved, Mr. Hamlin continuing alone until 1852.
In 1860 he became a member of Mendsen & Company, a-wholesale firm dealing in retail furniture and carpets. The firm was later reorganized under the name of Hamlin & Mendsen, wholesale and retail dry goods, in addition to furniture and carpets. The new enlarged store was opened for business the day Fort Sumter was fired on, "The bluest day Buffalo ever saw," said Mr. Hamlin. The business continued until 1866, when the retail dry goods department was discontinued, the firm continuing their other lines until 1871, when Mr. Hamlin retired from the dry goods business. but continued actively in other lines for several years,
He built the Hamlin Block, on Main Street, then (1888) one of Buffalo's noted buildings.
In 1874 he became president of the Buffalo Grape Sugar Company, later merged in the American Glucose Company. He dealt heavily in real estate, and did much to improve the city of Buffalo.
On his farm of four hundred acres in East Aurora he be began in 1855 to breed improved stock. The Hamlin Stock Farm became famous the world over as the home of Mambrino King, Chimes, Junior, and of the beautiful record-breaking Belle Hamlin. Mr. Hamlin dearly loved his horses and never drove a poor one. He did a great deal to improve the quality of stock in Western New York and in the country at large.
In 1868, with others, he bought the ground which has ever since been the home of the Buffalo Driving Park, and was the second president of the association.
He was a member of the first board of directors of the Buffalo and Washington railroad, and one of the seven men who assumed personal responsibility for he liability of the road and helped it through a critical time to better fortunes. By the loan of their personal credit they saved the road, and the city of Buffalo later disposed of their $700,000 of stock at par.
He was a man of large business interest and of great ability.
He married, September 21, 1842, at Aurora, New York, Susan A. Ford, born June 10, 1821, at Green River, Columbia county, New York, daughter of Isaac and Polly (Leland) Ford.