Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary
Narrow strip or strips of decorative inlay; frequently used to outlione drawers and usually in light-colored wood, e.g., satinwood
Popular in 18th-century furniture.
See also: banding
Examples from Buffalo:
- Left illustration above: Tulipwood bands - Kittinger Furniture Co.
- Right illustration above: Colonial Revival dressing table - Private collection, Grand Island
- Eastlake chest of drawers - Hoover House, Amherst Museum
- Stringing and banding on Hepplewhite sideboard - Kittinger Furniture Co.
- Stringing and banding on Federal card table - Kittinger Furniture Co.
- Stringing and banding on Hepplewhite Washstand - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Stringing on Federal sideboard - Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Stringing on Rococo desk - Hofmobiliendepot Imperial Furniture Collection, Vienna, Austria