Architecture Around the World

 Salina Street Elevation - White Memorial Building

106 E. Washington St. (corner of Salina), Syracuse, NY

See also: Facade photographs

Excerpt from Syracuse Then and Now  (June 2011)

The 1876 inscription above the front door reads: "As a memorial of Horace and Hamilton White, this building, replacing one in which they were engaged in business for many years, is erected by their children."

Five stores were planned for the first floor, two fronting on Salina Street and three on Washington Street.

The second flood was devoted to the Syracuse National Bank, founded by the Whites. The banking rooms were on the Washington Street side, the president's office was on the corner, the other private offices took up the remainder of the second floor. The bank vaults were at the rear of the bank and over the vestibule.

The third and fourth floors were office space. The fifth floor, under the mansard roof, was probably used as a Masonic Hall.

There was an hydraulic elevator, installed by C. Kassen of Buffalo.





Polychrome: slate roof, black, orange and cream bricks, Ohio sandstone


Slate roof  ..... Parapet  .....   Cream brick corbel table



Slate roof  ..... Parapet  .....   Cream brick corbel table



Note center cream brick column flanked by orange brick columns with  corbel  capitals







Note polished granite column





Photos and their arrangement 2011 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| .

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.