Salisbury - Table of Contents ......................Architecture Around the World

Salisbury Cathedral
England
13th century.
Salisbury Cathedral is the foremost example of Early English Gothic style church. It is the only English cathedral built in one style.
TEXT Beneath Illustrations


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Vertical buttresses

Blind arches

Spire is tallest medieval structure in the world

Three flying buttresses

Blind arches

Arcaded windows with quatrefoils and multifoils

Gothic ribbed vaulting

Massive stone screens

Ribbed vaulting with decorative bosses

Clearstory ... Triforium

Clearstory ... Triforium

Cinquefoil and two quatrefoils

Gothic compound arch

Stained glass window

Detail from previous illustration

Clear glass windows

Stained glass window

Detail from previous illustration

Souvenir bosses in Cathedral gift shop

Painting by William Swaan

Salisbury Cathedral
By the Very Reverend Hugh Dickinson

It was on a rough field called St. Mary's Mead in 1220 AD that Bishop Richard Poore and his brilliant architect Elias de Derham decided to build a new state-of-the-art Gothic style Cathedral to replace the old Norman Cathedral at Old Sarum.

Because they take so many generations to build, almost all other English Cathedrals are a mixture of different architectural styles. However the main body of Salisbury Cathedral which includes the tower and West Front, was completed in a mere 38 years [1258].

The huge Cloister (the largest in England) and the magnificent Chapter House (containing the Magna Carta) were added later. But then the 14th century the most daring and astonishing addition was made. The tower was raised and on top of it they built the slender soaring spire which we see today, completing the Cathedral 95 years after Elias first started the work.

Considering that at 404 feet (123 metres) Salisbury Cathedral's spire is the tallest medieval structure in the world it is amazing that it is still standing with foundations only four feet deep. Thankfully nature was on Elias's side and the thick bed of gravel that lies beneath the Cathedral supports the building's immense weight.

Once the building was finished the Bishop recruited priests, canons, and clerks to serve it. These church workers were given an acre and a half of land with the more senior clergy being given three acres around the perimeter of The Close. The Bishop built himself a great palace, which now houses the Cathedral School.

Today only four members of the Chapter are resident in The Close and other properties are mainly leased from the Cathedral by private residents.


Photos and their arrangement 2003 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.