Church of the Good Shepherd - Table of Contents

Chancel - Church of the Good Shepherd
.96 Jewett Pkwy. at Summit, Buffalo, NY
Church of the Good Shepherd - Official Home Page

Chancel: The space around the principal altar of a church for the clergy and choir, often separated by a screen or railing from the body of the church

The altar is of dark polished oak, richly carved, the front in three panels, divided by shafts, with capitals of lilies and passion-flowers.

Tiffany Studios was hired to make the windows. Tiffany personally designed the 1888 Good Shepherd window showing Jesus with a spider web design haloing his head to indicate God in nature. This window became a memorial to the parish founder, Elam R. Jewett, given by his nephews and nieces.

The center light represents the Good Shepherd carrying two lambs, and with His flock around Him; the side lights are vine tracery with grapes and birds in the richest colors in conventional designs. The head, hair and neck of the figure, delicate in coloring and an exquisite example of portraiture are all on one section of glass.

The two side windows are filled with a convention grape vine design, glowing with jewels and rich color.


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

The chancel

The altar is of dark polished oak

Christ the Good Shepherd triplet by Tiffany Glass Company

Vine tracery with grapes and birds

 

 

 

Center window

The Good Shepherd

Grapes and birds

 

 

 

Fleur-de-lis, which represents the Holy Trinity

Church of the Good Shepherd - Table of Contents

In the front of the chancel

Sources of captions:


Special thanks to Rev. David Selzer, rector of the Church of the Good Shepherd, for his cooperation and assistance in 2004
Photos and their arrangement © 2004 Chuck LaChiusa
...| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..