Unitarian Universalist Church - Table of Contents

First Unitarian Church / Title Guarantee Building
Also known as the Austin Building or Ticor Building
110 Franklin St. at Eagle, Buffalo, NY

Erected:

1833

Builder:

Benjamin Rathbun
Original 1883 style: Greek Revival

1880s conversion architect:

F. W. Caulkins

1880s conversion style:

Neoclassical

Location:

Joseph Ellicott Historic District

TEXT (below photos)

2003 Photos





First Unitarian Church, erected 1833    ...    Abandoned for church uses 1880,  remodeled and then known as the Austin Building, 110 Franklin Street
     ...    Source: The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo, Frank H. Severance, ed. Buffalo Historical Society Publications, Vol. 16, 1912, p. 130



Benjamin Rathbun






The lone remaining monument to the otherwise long-gone Rathbun empire   ...  
Neoclassical style



Franklin Street facade   ...   Details below:


Franklin Street facade  ...   Pediment   ...   Modillions   ...   Dentils   ...   Pilasters   ...   Rounded window head (a Neoclassical style feature)




Franklin Street facade   ...   Pediment  at top  ...   Modillions support protruding cornice   ...   Dentils resemble a row of teeth  ...   Pilasters 



Franklin Street facade   ...   Pilaster capital



Franklin Street facade    ...   Pilasters   ...   Rounded  window head   ...   Foliated running ornament




Franklin Street facade   ...   Paneled  spandrel panel  




South elevation


South (Eagle Street) elevation 
  Pediment   ...   Modillions   ...   Dentils



South (Eagle Street) elevation 
Note pilasters and paneled spandrel panel




South (Eagle Street) elevation 
Pilasters and  spandrels



South (Eagle Street) elevation
Foliated  running mold








First Unitarian Church - 1833

By James Napora
1995

The oldest religious building remaining in the downtown core, the First Unitarian Church, is the second oldest house of worship existing within the city [oldest is the Breckenridge Street Church].

History:

In November, 1831 Noah Sprague invited a Rev. Sullivan of Keene, New Hampshire to the city to preach to the men and women of the city native to New England. After the last of three services conducted during that month, Sprague held a meeting to determine if interest existed amongst the attendees regarding establishing a Unitarian church in the city. Due to inclement weather, only three people attended th e initial meeting. He held a second meeting on 2 December and at that time the six attendees agreed to establish a Unitarian Society in the city.

The idea of the Unitarian Society lay fallow for the following eight months. In the Fall of 1832, the group secured the services of Rev. William Steill Brown and began holding regular meetings in a number of downtown locations including the courthouse on Lafayette Square, a schoolhouse on Pearl Street (later the home of Temple Beth El), and the attic of T. Stephenson's jewelry store on Main Street.

110 Franklin St.:

The following year they purchased the lot on the corner of Franklin and Eagle for $2.000 and contracted the prolific local builder Benjamin Rathbun to construct their $6.000 house of worship. With twelve members at the time, it was a brave undertaking. Within three years, through wise investing primarily in real estate, they were able to retire the debt on the building.

Immediately the congregation wished to make an impact upon the city through its benevolence. In 1836, under the direction of the pastor, Rev. George Washington Hosmer, they raised a fund to establish a school in the basement of the church. Known as a free school and open to all children of the poor of the city, it became the first such institution in the city.

During his tenure, Rev. Hosmer twice enlarged the building between 1833 and 1859. The congregation remained active in the building through 1880 except for a short period in 1859 when fire damaged it. While repairs were being made, they met in the Niagara Street Methodist Church (destroyed) across the street from their building.

Throughout the early years of the church, many notable politicians worshiped there, primarily as guests of Millard Fillmore. Three presidents have worshiped in this building.

  • Millard Fillmore was a charter member of the Church.
  • John Quincy Adams' diary for October 29, 1843 noted that he attended church with Fillmore, hearing a sermon by Rev. Hosmer.
  • One of the children of Rev. Hosmer recalled, "In 1861, a noteworthy scene was held in the church at Buffalo. Mr. Fillmore stood in his usual place ... By his side stood a man, gaunt, sallow, who, with melancholy face, bent reverently at the sound of prayer. The minister spoke with solemn words; then coming from his pulpit, looked for a moment into the serious eyes of the visitor, while he pressed his hand. It was Abraham Lincoln passing on to the fulfillment of his stormy destiny."

First Unitarian Church moves to Delaware Avenue:

As the area surrounding the church became increasingly commercial, the members decided to relocate to a more suitable location. In 1879 they broke ground for their second house of worship on Delaware between Mohawk and Huron (destroyed). Upon moving there in 1880 they became known as the Church of Our Father.

The congregation remained at the Delaware Avenue location until initiating plans for their building on West Ferry and Elmwood in 1904.

110 Franklin St. sold and enlarged:

With their departure from 110 Franklin, the Unitarians sold the building to Stephen G. Austin in 1880. He employed F. W. Caulkins to convert the building to offices by adding a third floor and lengthening the Eagle Street facade of the building.

The congregation remained at the Delaware Avenue location until initiating plans for their building on West Ferry and Elmwood in 1904.

[The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy was located in this building from 1881 to 1886.

For a number of years, Green and Wicks, Buffalo's most prolific architectural firm, had its office here.]






Color photos and their arrangement 2003 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.