Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary

Fan design

A semicircular, fanlike ornament used in late 18th century furniture in England and America

Used in chair backs (18th century English).

Used as a filling, upright or reversed.

Used in inlaid and painted decoration on 18th century furniture, especially in Queen Anne and Chippendale highboys and lowboys and chests of drawers.

Windsor chairs with flaring spindles and curved top rails are called "fanbacks."

Similar to shell and sunburst designs.

See also: Fanlight  ...  Fan-back Windsor chair

Examples from Buffalo:

Photos and their arrangement 2016 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..