Matrons' College
39 Cathedral Close

Before the Reformation there was a building on this site which housed the priest who served the Crown Chantry in the cathedral. Bishop Seth Ward purchased the freehold from a city merchant Thomas Hawles for the building of a Matrons College to provide a sheltered home for ten widows of clergy, from the Diocese of Salisbury and Exeter.

This building was completed in March 1682.