58 Cathedral Close
Although its present appearance owes much to 19th century alterations, the
origins of 58 The Close lie in the 13th century.
At first the residence of one of the canons [clergymen] who served the Cathedral,
it later passed into the hands of the Bishop of Salisbury. It is probable that use
as a storehouse and administrative base for the Bishop’s household led to
its name of The Wardrobe, a title first recorded in 1543.