Edward B. Holmes  House - Table of Contents

History - Edward B. Holmes  House
44 Lincoln Parkway
at Forest Avenue (SW), Buffalo, NY

Built:

1911 - Building permit given to Washington B. French, contractor
Architect:
Stephen R. Berry
The American Contractor, Vol 31, June 4, 1910, p. 59 lists Berry at 435 Breckenridge (July 2011).
In 1920, his address is 445 Breckenridge.
In 1883, Berry advertised in a Batavia, NY, newspaper, listing his office as 66 Main St., Batavia.

Style:

Craftsman

Previous house land owner:

The entire block was owned by Jas. N. Granger in 1891.
Edward B[ritain] Holmes: The foundation of the E&B Holmes Machinery Company was laid when brothers Edward (died 1906) and Britain Holmes (died 1905) founded their first company in 1840 in Lancaster. They relocated to Buffalo in 1852. Portraits of the 2 brothers.

Edward's son, Edward Britain, became president in 1906. Upon the death of Edward B. in 1934, his widow Maud became president of the company.

Edward and Maud Holmes resided in the Lakeview area of Hamburg, south of Buffalo for many years, moving into the city each winter.

Source: National Register Nomination, Section 8, Page 8 (online April 2015)

House owners:

1912-1924 - Edward B. Holmes (Pres. of E&B Holmes Machinery Co.)
1930s -  George A. Ray (Pres. Geo. A. Ray Mfg. Co.)
Late 1930s and early 1940s - Thomas Goldsborough
1955 - Thomas Hornung
1960s to 1980s - William Carberry

Location:

Other Lincoln Parkway Homes
..... Buffalo Park and Parkway System
Distinction: The 2011 National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo Candlelight House Tour

44 Lincoln Parkway
Brochure entry from the 2011 Candlelight House Tour during The National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo.
Sponsored by Preservation Buffalo Niagara.

Designed by Buffalo architect Stephen R. Berry in 1911, this Craftsman style beauty became the home of the president of E. & B. Holmes Machinery Company.

The design features a very open concept for a home of this period. A Tudor arch porch and stairs lead to the front door, which is flanked by twin leaded and stained glass side lights. Leaded glass transom windows fill the main rooms of the first floor, lending to a bright and airy feel. A unique floor to ceiling brick fireplace anchors the dining room. Quarter-sawn face-nailed floors with walnut inlay grace all of the main living spaces.

When the current owners first looked at the house, an offer had been made to purchase it and tear it down for a new build. Fortunately the house was saved from that fate. In need of TLC at the time, it has been transformed by nine years of sweat equity.

Son of Edward and Clara Holmes, Edward Britain Holmes was born in Buffalo on February 3, 1872.

He attended local public schools before attending Cornell University, and upon graduation he joined his family’s business, working at E. & B. Holmes Company. After the deaths of his father and uncle, Edward B. Holmes became the company’s president.

On February 1, 1911, he married Maud Gordon of Rochester.

Like his father and uncle, Edward B. was also a prominent local citizen. He was a member of the Buffalo Club, the Pytonga Fish and Game organization and the Wanakah Country Club. During World War I he also led a division in Liberty Loan drives. He also worked to manage similar drives at the University of Buffalo. Besides serving as head of the E. & B. Holmes Company, Edward B. also served as director of Claude-Neon Displays, Inc., Marine Safe Deposit Company and the Simonds-Hite Tool Company of Toledo, Ohio. In 1927, Edward B. Holmes was elected a director of Pratt & Lambert, Inc.

Edward and Maud Holmes resided in the Lakeview area of Hamburg, south of Buffalo for many years, moving into the city each winter.

Edward B. Holmes died at age 62 after a brief bout of pneumonia at his home at 577 West Ferry Street on April 13, 1934.
In a time when men dominated the majority of leadership roles in manufacturing and industrial businesses, Maud Holmes proved to be a successful president of the E. & B. Holmes Machinery Company.

Born and educated in Rochester, NY, Maud Gordon came to Buffalo in 1893. She married Edward Britain Holmes in 1911.

Mrs. Holmes likely served in some role in her husband’s manufacturing company, the E. & B. Holmes Machinery Company, since she succeeded him as president of the operation following his death in 1934. Mrs. Holmes apparently did not take her role in the company lightly, as reports noted that “each day she is at her desk in her company’s plant at 59 Chicago Street.” It was under her leadership that the products of the Holmes company shifted away from the diminishing cooperage industry to the more profitable wood-working and industrial machinery arenas.

Mrs. Holmes also had an interest in gardening and was an active member and president of the Derby Garden Club and The Garden Center Institute of Buffalo and won numerous awards for her gardens and her service.

Having no children to pass the family business along to, Mrs. Holmes sold the E. & B. Holmes Machinery Company to long-time employees Fred Henry and Martin Elskamp in 1950. Maud Gordon Holmes died in February of 1964.

Special thanks to Kevin and Julie Curtin for their cooperation in 2011

Research assistance:  Michele Brozek; Fred Schrock; Ronald Schmitz; Martin Wachadlo,


Photos and their arrangement 2011Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.