Darwin D. Martin House Complex - Table of Contents

2006 Photographs - Reconstruction: Pergola / Conservatory / Carriage House
Darwin D. Martin House Complex
125 Jewett Parkway, Buffalo, NY

Photographs taken on June 6, 2006 and on October 10, 2006
TEXT Beneath Illustrations



Click on photos for larger size -- and additional information

June 6, 2006

June 6, 2006

June 6, 2006

June 6, 2006

Signage on Jewett Avenue

  • Far left: carriage house
  • Upper right: conservatory
  • Right: pergola
  • Far left: rear of Martin House
  • Long, narrow pergola
  • Upper left: carriage house
  • Far right: conservatory
  • Right: long, narrow pergola connects the Martin House to the conservatory

Pergola as seen through plastic

Pergola as seen through plastic.

Pergola (left half of photo)) connects the Martin House to the conservatory (right half of photo)

View from rear of Martin House: carriage house




View from rear of Martin House: carriage house




October 10, 2006

October 10, 2006

October 10, 2006

October 10, 2006

  • Far left: carriage house
  • Upper right: conservatory
  • Right: pergola
  • Left: Martin House
  • Middle: pergola
  • Right: conservatory
  • Left: pergola
  • Right: conservatory

South/front of Martin House

Following Darwin Martin's death in 1935 , his family suffered major financial setbacks and the Martin House began a tragic decline, with the family abandoning he house in 1937.

The Martin House stood open to the elements for more than a decade and suffered terribly from neglect and weather damage. Large numbers of windows were removed or sold off.

By the 1940s, demolition seemed imminent. Fortunately in 1954, an architect Sebastian Tauriello and his wife Ruth purchased the property thus saving the Martin House from the same tragic fate that befell the Larkin Building in 1950.

Ultimately the pergola, conservatory, and carriage house were lost, along with the lush gardens that were once integral to the composition,

-Lesley Neufeld, Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House Complex, 2004

A nonprofit restoration corporate was founded in 1992 and in 2006 the reconstruction of the three demolished buildings will be complete, with a planned opening planned for October 2006.


Special thanks to Margaret P. Stehlik, Director of Operations,
Martin House Restoration Corporation, for her cooperation and patience.
Photos and their arrangement 2006 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.