First Presbyterian - Table of Contents

The Great Commissioning Narthex Window
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." - Mark 16:15

First Presbyterian Church, Lockport
21 Church Street, Lockport. NY 14094
First Presbyterian Church Official Website

There are six windows in the church that are original Tiffany Studios windows - plus six which were made using Tiffany glass.  The latter windows - including the choir window which is shown on this page - were made by the Payne-Spiers Studios of Paterson, New Jersey, in the late 1940's and early 1950's through the efforts of Mr. Thomas Hildreth who was able to have enough of the original Tiffany Glass set aside for the church to be used when the opportunity for new window construction arose.

Iconography in Art and Architecture: Commissioning of the Apostles

Narthex

Stained glass - Tale of Contents

Window Shown Below:

Designer:

Stephen Palmer and a committee of church members

Fabricator:

Payne-Spiers Studios using Tiffany Studios glass purchased after Tiffany Studios dissolved.

Year dedicated:

1950

Memorial window:

In memory of Alice Pomroy Kenan



Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information


Payne-Spiers Studios watercolor

Left panel, watercolor - detail

Left panel, watercolor - detail

Right panel, watercolor - detail

Right panel, watercolor - detail

The Great Commissioning

Left panel - detail

Left window - detail

 

 

 

Right window - detail

 

 

 




Right window - detail






Special thanks to Pastor Reverend W. James Hardy for his cooperation and to Elder Albert Grimm for his assistance

Photos and their arrangement 2009 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.