Larkin District ................ Hydraulics District, History
Larkin U Building
239 Van Rensselaer Street, Buffalo, NY
Larkin Development Group: U Building - Official Web Site (July 2012)
||1893 for industrial scrap recycler D. Ullman Sons
||Romanesque Revival Commercial style
|| D. Ullman Sons Recycling
||1911 Larkin Co.
Larkin Company factory building “U” for 29 years, complete with a bowling alley in the basement for use by members of the Larkin Men’s Club
|2011 renovation by Larkin Development Group:||"Removed
years of red paint from the exterior of the structure ... New roof
during this construction season and new, appropriate replacement
windows ... Cleared of all antiquated mechanical and electrical
systems" - The Hydraulics Press (July 2012)
|2012 sole tenant:
||First Niagara Bank
|Renovation funding:||LISC invests New Markets capital to redevelop historic Larkin District warehouse for First Niagara Bank offices
|Larkin District blog:
||The Hydraulics Press (July 2012)|
|State and National Register of Historic Places:
Left: Larkin Square
Far right: Larkin @Exchange building and parking ramp
Looking north toward Seneca Street.
Note trash at right of building (next photo below)
Center 3 bays
Top: two brick corbel tables ... Triple rows of voussoirs over fan light
Upper two stories, center 3 bays.
Romanesque Revival rounded arches ... Fan lights ... Rough cut stone sills and lintels ... Paneled spandrel panel ... Pilasters
Rough cut stone sill and lintels ... Paneled spandrel panels
Two brick corbel tables ... Triple rows of voussoirs over fan light ... Pilaster at right
Main entrance at left (next photo below)
2003 photo of the south elevation ... Background building at left is the "B, C...N, O" twelve buildings / Larkin Center of Commerce, 701 Seneca St.