Reprinted with permission as a public service by the Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier, now the Preservation Buffalo Niagara
OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH - 1897
O'Connell at Vandalia Streets (SW)
Architects: Lansing & Beierl
Founded 25 March, 1897
As the population in the South Park/Louisiana Street area increased, the Catholic Diocese perceived a need for a third church presence there. Consequently, the Bishop, J. E. Quigley, designated that a new parish be formed within the boundaries of St. Stephen's on Elk Street and St. Brigid's on Fulton (destroyed). Appointing Rev. R. C. O'Connell to organize it, inMarch, 1897, he purchased the site on which the church stands.
The congregation initially met in a building known as "The Clubhouse" at 95 Alabama Street, celebrating their first mass there on 11 July, 1897. They immediately began planning for the construction of the present place of worship. They broke groundshortly after celebrating their first mass and the Bishop placed the cornerstone on 21 November.
With the basement completed, the congregation vacated the clubhouse and began holding servicesthere. On 21 March, 1900 Bishop Quigley formally dedicated the completed structure.
Constructed of Medina sandstone, the building is designed in the Gothic Style. The west tower of the building was never completed. The street on which the church fronts, originally called Sandusky Street, was renamed O'Connell Avenue in honor of the founder and first pastor of the church.
© 1995 James Napora
Page by Chuck LaChiusa with the assistance of David Torke
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... |.....E-Mail ...| .
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.