A panoramic sketch of Delaware Avenue by an Artist from the Tower of Westminster
Printed below the sketch:
A. C. WARREN ... Entered According to Act of Congress in the year 1873 by D. Appleton & Co.
in the office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington ... W. WELLSTOOD
Text below reprinted from
Buffalo's Delaware Avenue: Mansions and Families
by Edward T. Dunn
Pub. by Canisius College Press, 2003, p. 346
(Colors added for clarity)
The house in center foreground [bottom of sketch] is that of Valorous Hodge at #698 and that with the cupola directly south [above in sketch] is [Aaron] Rumsey's.
The forested area below [above in sketch] is the [North Street] cemetery on the southwest corner of North and Delaware, which was abandoned in the early 1890s.
The earliest date for the sketch can be deduced from the building with the large roof southwest of the cemetery [on Elmwood and Virginia], the armory of the 74th Regiment, NYNG, later the Elmwood Music Hall, built in 1875 [1885?].
South on the east side [left in sketch] of the Avenue are the Fryer and Ganson houses; across North are the Stevenson house and the Wilcox mansion.
The steeple below [above in sketch] the White Lead factory belongs to Asbury Methodist on Tupper.
On the waterfront [ip in sketch] are grain elevators, the bases of Buffalo's early economy and of the wealth of many Avenue residents.
Source of sketch: Webmaster's collection