Foster House - Table of Contents ............. Allentown - Table of Contents
Exterior - Dr. and Mrs. Hubbard A. Foster House
3 St. John's Place at Wadsworth Street, Buffalo NY
||H. H. Little|
||Jared Hyde Tilden, whose name is
cast into each of the four chimney cleanout doors of cast iron in the
basement (photo courtesy of the owners).
Jared Hyde Tilden (1828-1902), a prominent builder and contractor. In addition to building 3 St. John's Place, he also built the First Presbyterian Church, the Red Jacket (also designed by H. H. Little), and the Dun Building
Exterior walls are a foot in depth.
Mrs. Hubbard A. Foster
family. The head of the household was William H. Boocock, a
with the First
Presbyterian Church, his wife, Maud,
and their sons, Cornelius B., William R., and Philip. Also living
the home was Maud’s parents, Cornelius and Helen Brett." - Chris Brown, History
of the ... Foster House
William H. Boocock: (ca. 1863 - 11 December 1928) Minister of Religious Education (1909- 1922) Probably best remembered as being the “Minister-in-Charge” while Rev. Andrew V.V. Raymond, D.D. was on a leave-of-absence, and for the period of time following Dr. Raymond's untimely death in 1918; he continued to serve in that capacity for the next three years until the arrival of Dr. Buttrick. His was wife was Maude B. Boocock, she died 3 March 1936; they had three sons, Cornelius Brett; William Robert, who followed into the ministry; and Philip Milledoler Boocock. He retired in 1922, remaining active in church affairs until his death in Buffalo, NY on 11 December 1928 at the age of 65. - Research by Bruce McCauseland, First Presbyterian Church Historian
||"By 1930, the house had been converted into a two-family house and was owned by Sarah Doxey." - Chris Brown, History of the ... Foster House|
Historic photograph courtesy of current owners Holly Holdaway and Daniel Culross ... Note the original Stick style wooden porch which extended across the front of the house ... Hitching post and trolley tracks on WadsworthSt.
|Color photographs taken in January 2013
The front porch, not original, probably altered in the 1940s ... Note First Presbyterian Church at right
|Facade - Attic storey
Door not original. The window opening was enlarged when a fire escape was added, probably when the single family house was converted into a rooming house during the Depression.
Vergeboards and Stick style horseshoe-shaped arch ... Medina sandstone belt courses ... Two terra cotta panels
The identity of the terra cotta face is not known, although one possibility is the Foster son, Charlie
Door not original. The window opening was enlarged when a fire escape was added, probably when the single family house was converted into a rooming house during the Depression ... Broken belt courses and broken terra cotta panel
Tympanum is decorated with applied wooden flowering scroll acanthus leaves
|Facade - First storey
Probably the patient entrance originally. Dr. Foster, like many doctors at the time, had patient office and examining rooms in his house.
Medina sandstone window sills ... Medina sandstone belt course functions as window lintels, also.
|North elevation (on Wadsworth Street)
Medina sandstone sills ...Terra cotta panel ... Three brick corbel tables
Side view - brick corbel tables
Probably the family entrance for the Fosters
Oak double doors
First Presbyterian Church at right.
Stick style vergeboard, tympanum, jambs
elevation - rear of house
Clipped gable roof