Bush Families in Buffalo
Myron P. Bush House
14 Lincoln Parkway, Buffalo, NY
Lincoln Parkway Homes
..... Buffalo Park and Parkway System
|Distinction:||The 2011 National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo Candlelight House Tour|
from the 2011 Candlelight House Tour
during The National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo
Sponsored by Preservation Buffalo Niagara
14 Lincoln Parkway is the middle of three homes designed by the Buffalo architecture firm of Lansing and Beierl for members of the John Bush family. This home, built in 1902, was first occupied by Myron P.. Bush, and his wife, the former Carrie Benson.
A prominent banking attorney, Myron further distinguished himself by wearing winged collars long past their general fashion acceptance.
The brick of the colonial revival style home runs in a Flemish bond pattern.
The public room floors sport a field of full-length hardwood boards within a perimeter of wood. The perimeter extends uninterrupted into the adjoining rooms, where the format repeats.
Trim and ceiling moldings vary from room to room, with the library molding bearing the telltale “ears” of a Lansing design. Although updated with modern cabinetry, the kitchen boasts an original built-in bread oven. Bread would bake just from the heat streaming through the chimney nearby.
ArchitectLansing & Beierl designed three houses in a row for related members of the Bush Family: John W. (#6), his son Myron P. (#14), and his daughter Katherine Bush Hotchkiss (#20). Katherine's husband, William Hotchkiss, and Myron P. Bush were law partners.
Lansing & Beierl had also designed the previous Hotchkiss house at 37 Oakland Place in 1897-98 Williams Lansing designed his own house at 29 Oakland in 1898, so Lansing and the Hotchkisses were neighbors.
An excerpt from
Municipal Parks and City Planning: Frederick Law Olmsted's Buffalo Park and Parkway System
By Francis R. Kowsky
Of equal importance to the new public grounds were the parkways and avenues that Olmsted and Vaux planned to connect them to one another. These sylvan tributaries of the parks extended in a wide arc across the northern part of the city so that one could travel the six-mile distance from The Front (the present Front Park) to The Parade (the present Humboldt Parkway) under a canopy of green.
At 200 feet in width, the parkways were much broader than the normal streets of the city and provided separate lanes for different types and directions of traffic. Areas of turf planted with rows of overarching elms created a park-like environment for those who could afford to live along their borders.
circles marked junctures where parkways came together or where they
encountered major city streets. Unprecedently pleasant avenues, the
parkways in Buffalo were among the first to be constructed in an
Four parkways approached The Park.
The longest of these was Humboldt Parkway, which joined The Park to The Parade nearly three miles away on the east side of town.
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.