470 Linwood Avenue
Buffalo, New York

Linwood Avenue - Table of Contents
TEXT Beneath Illustrations


Click on photos for larger size

Located on the southwest corner of Linwood Avenue and West Ferry Street.


Note arcaded corbel table between the second floor windows

Dormer: Swan's neck pediment (missing finial on top) above Palladian window

Webbed oval window with wood surround

Broken-apex pedimentover front entrance

Side (W. Ferry) entrance. Note cornice, Side lights, leaded glass.

Side (W. Ferry).
Broken-bed pediment
with Palladian window




Dormer with pedimented gable







The improvement of Linwood Avenue took place in the 1880s, largely through the initiative of Edward B. Smith. Smith was a speculative builder who often commissioned architects, such as Silsbee and Marling and F. W. Caulkins, to design dwellings here. At the juncture of Franklin and Linwood he planned a park joining the two streets into a continuous thoroughfare. This wide, tree-shaded boulevard became a street of substantial middle-class homes, and in 1886 the "Real Estate and Builders' Monthly" remarked that "beautiful Linwood Avenue bids fair to rank with Delaware as a residence street in this municipality."


Primary source of information: 1999 Preservation Coalition of Erie County tour. Tim Tielman, tour guide

Other source: "Buffalo Architecture: A Guide." Cambridge: MIT Press, 1981


Photos and their arrangement 2004 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.