St. Joseph RC Cathedral
AKA St. Joseph's RC Old Cathedral
50 Franklin St., Buffalo, NY

St. Joseph RC Cathedral - Official Website
Visitor Information: (716) 854-5855

Construction began in 1851, and it served as the "Bishop's Church" until 1912, when St. Joseph New Cathedral was built on Delaware at Utica( NE). In 1977, the New Cathedral was demolished, and this building again became the diocesan cathedral.

        

History:

History

History (James Napora)

Exterior:

Exterior

Rectory

Interior:

Sanctuary

Nave

Blessed Mother Chapel

Baptism of Mieszko Slawinski copper etching

Stained glass windows:

Altar and Rose windows F. Scherer of Munich Studios

Sanctuary Clearstory Windows  Tyrol Art Glass Studios

Transepts Windows

Nave Stained Glass Windows Tyrol Art Glass Studios

St. Charles / St. Edward Window Hardman Studios

Two Geometric Windows    Andrle Studios

Blessed Mother Chapel    Andrle Studios

See also:

Bishop Timon - Table of Contents

St. Joseph's RC "New" Cathedral

Joseph Ellicott Historic Preservation District

Buffalo's Houses of Worship on Buffalo Architecture and History website


Special thanks to Rector Msgr. James F. Campbell for his cooperation in 2005 and in 2009

Photos and their arrangement 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.