Hamburg, NY - Table of Contents
Salisbury Building / Hamburg
22 Main Street, Hamburg New York
Research by John R. Edson
Salisbury Building / Hamburg Grange - 2002 Photographs
Historic plaque in front of the building
The Hamburg Grange Building was built in 1892 by John H. Salisbury (1856-1935), a dealer of farm implements, Postmaster, Fire Chief, and leader of the Peoplesā Bank and the Erie County Agricultural Society.
William H. Froehley's furniture and undertaking business occupied the first two floors and the Pamona Chapter of the Hamburg Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry No. 1293 met on the third floor in an attractive theater setting from 1913 until 1974.
This building has an elaborate pressed metal façade with many decorative features including a frieze with a fleur-de-lis motif, Corinthian pilasters and a cornice supported by Italianate brackets.
History of 22 Main Street
Originally called the Salisbury Building, the Hamburg Grange building at 22 Main Street was home to the William L. Froehley furniture and undertaking business on the first two floors and the Hamburg Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry on the third floor.
The National Grange was organized in 1867 to assist farmers whose livelihoods were devastated by the Civil War.
Hamburg Grange No. 1293 was organized in 1913. They met in this building until 1974.
- Text source: "Images of America: Hamburg," by John R. Edson. Pub. by Arcadia Publishing in 2000.
Description of the building on July 24, 2008
This is a frame building with a decorative pressed metal façade. Known historically for the Pamona Grange meeting rooms on the third floor and the Froehley Furniture and Undertaking business. The building has also been known as the Salisbury Building.
The third floor features the following:
- Small office rooms, now two rest rooms
- An attractive stage with two raised stage doors, a working curtain and stage lighting from above and below.
- A large meeting room that could seat about 150 people. The meeting room has a high ceiling with parallel curved top corners. This ceiling drops about five feet to another level perpendicular do the stage that is supported by a row of square wooden columns on each side. The seating area under the raised ceiling is sunken about six inches below the surrounding floor. It is a magnificent meeting space in the central business district of the village of Hamburg.
Search for 22 Main Street, 50 x 132":
- John W. Salisbury sold the property on April 10, 1900 to Henry P. Baltzer.
- The original filing of this property was made in Erie County Clerk's Office on July 26, 1815.
- The parcel of land: Lot No. 2 in the 9th Township and 8th range of Holland Land Company's survey; bounded by property of notable Hamburg village residents; Jacob Company's store and hotel, Land owned by John Kloepfer and Charles B. Eno.
- 1818, July 26- deed Wilhelm Willink to Richard Smith
- 1816- Richard Smith and Elizabeth, wife to John Layton
- 1827- John Layton and Zula, wife, to Thomas Fish and Lathrop Fish
- 1831- Thomas Fish, Louisa, wife, to Lathrop Fish
- 1845- Lathrop Fish and wife Sally to Joseph Bunting
- 1845- Joseph Bunting and wife Lucinda to Samuel Kittenger
- 1848- Samuel Kittenger and wife Martha L to Erastus Harrington
- 1862- Samuel Kittenger and wife Martha L to Russel Harrington
- 1857- Erastus Herrington to Russel Herrington
- 1861- Russel Herrington and wife Silvia to Joseph Kronengerg
- 1892- Joseph Kronenberg and wife Louisa to Philip H. Hitzel
- 1892- Edward L. Hitzel to Philip H. Hitzel
- 1894- Philip H. Hitzel and wife Annie to Louisa Eckhardt
- 1896- Louisa Eckhardt to Joseph Kronenberg
- 1897, April 3- Joseph Kronenberg to John W. Salisbury
- 1897, April 3- John W. Salisbury and wife Edith M, mortgage for $1500 to Emma Sutter
- 1900, April 6- John W. Salisbury and wife Edith M, mortgage for $4000 to Henry P. Baltzer
- 1914, February 14- John W. Salisbury and wife Edith M. conveys premises, consideration $1 to Hamburg Grange No. 1293, Patrons of Husbandry of Hamburg, NY
- 1973, March 9- Hamburg Grange No. 1293 to Anthony C. Ilardo and wife Patricia M., Edwin E. Ilardo and wife Virginia A. Mortgage $15,000, Hamburgh Savings & Loan Assn. Lease with Hamburgh Grange for first floor.
John W. Salisbury:
- b. October 1856.
- His parents were John B. (b. about 1825) and Sarah B. Salisbury (b. about 1830), brothers were George B. (b. about 1859) and Oliver B. (b. about 1866) all farmers.
- The Salisbury family had a neighbor family, Philip and Elizabeth Baltzer, son Henry Baltzer (b. about 1855) who later purchases 22 Main Street from John W. Salisbury.
- John W. Salisbury must have been married twice.
- His first family included children: Eva F., b. Oct 1881; Winnie M, b. Oct 1883; Myron D, b. Apr. 1885, Victor B., b. Aug 1887 and Edgar N. b, Aug. 1889.
- His second wife, Edith M., b. Dec. 1871 was considerably younger and produced these children: Eunice M, b. Apr 1898; Grace, b. May 1900; Marion, b. 1900?; Henry, b. 1902? and Sarah, b. 1905?
- John W. Salisbury was a dealer in farm implements.
- John's sister was Lorinda Salisbury Colvin, a charter member of the Nineteenth Century Club, the group that founded the Hamburg Free Library in 1897. She was known as "Aunt Rindy" and composed poems that she recited at civic events in Hamburg.