Baker Memorial - Table of Contents
A Short History - Baker Memorial United Methodist Church
345 Main St, East Aurora, NY
|Methodist circuit riders first brought
the Gospel to our area during the War of 1812.
Glezen Fillmore was the best known of many who preached here.
The church moved from its original (1829) building to its present location in 1878.
Original (1829) building in its present location in 1877.
Architect: M. E. Beebe
Urged on by young members calling themselves "The Church of Tomorrow," and supported by the generosity of Carrie Baker Maxwell, the congregation completed its present structure in 1928 and named it for Mrs. Maxwell's father, Chauncey Steele Baker (Pastor, 1873 -1876).
Photo above shows original church building on the right being adaptively used as the church hall. The 1928 church is connected at the left.
Rev. Chauncey S. Baker
Pastor 1873 to 1876
Baker's sanctuary is known for its 17 Tiffany windows, six of which are signed.
Text and original photos from Baker Memorial - Official Website
Detailed church history on Baker Memorial Official Website