Buffalo Area Church Stained Glass Manufacturers - Table of Contents.................. Stained Glass - Table of Contents.
Jozef (Joseph) C. Mazur
By Gregory L. Witul
Jozef C. Mazur was born on March 17, 1897, in Buffalo's Polish east side and baptized at St. Adalbert's Basilica.
In Masten Park High School Jozef excelled in his study of art, so much so that after his graduation he received an apprenticeship at a stained glass studio. After serving in World War I, he earned a scholarship for Buffalo (Albright) Arts School and then attended the Art Students League of New York.
Upon his return to Buffalo in 1925, Mazur received one of the most important commissions of his career: the redecoration of St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Church, the Mother Church of Polonia.
His most famous secular work from this time would be the bust of Chopin in front of Kleinhans Music Hall.
In 1955, he decorated the University at Buffalo's Polish Room. Jozef and his wife, Stefa, donated a stained glass lamp depicting Chopin, Mickiewicz, Paderewski, and Slowacki to the University. They also included four stained glass medallions portraying Marie Curie Sklodowska, Nicolaus Copernicus, and two other famous Poles. [See Marie Curie Medallion Returns to UB Polish Collection By Way of eBay.]
By the time, Mazur completed his last stained glass commission in 1960 for SS. Peter & Paul in Hamburg his health was in decline.
After a long illness, Jozef Mazur passed away on April 23, 1970.
Stained glass windows:
- St. Margaret RC Church all interior windows
- St. John Kanty RC Church all interior windows
- St. Francis of Assisi cartoon and stained glass window At Felician Sisters Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent and St. Margaret RC Church
- 3 Cartoons at Villa Maria College
- Saints Peter and Paul RC Church, Hamburg, NY: Resurrection / Ascension / Baptism of Jesus
- St. Barbara RC Church, Ridge Rd, Lackawanna, NY: Photo #1....... Photo #2
- Virgin Mary Alice and Norbert Golebiewski collection
- Frederic Chopin Alice and Norbert Golebiewski collection
- Marie Curie Medallion Returns to UB Polish Collection By Way of eBay Lockwood Memorial Library interior of the Polish Collection Room in the original Lockwood Memorial Library (now Abbott Hall) on the UB South (Main Street) Campus. In 1955, Mazur created four hangings to celebrate important Polish cultural figures, among them, Copernicus and Curie, and donated them to the collection. (online May 2015)