Brush Co. brick variations

  • Co. owned by Mayor Alexander Brush who came to Buffalo in 1848 from Jewettville area; retired 1890; died 1892; buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery
  • Brick at left (BB): Brush Bros. Alexander had two brothers: William and William H.
  • In 1856, Brush & 3 sons had brick yard on Bailey Ave.
  • In 1891, the company was owned by Charles Berrick, Hakes, E. Coatsworth, Brush

  • In 1879-1882, the largest manufacturer of bricks in northeast; over a million bricks a year
  • Offices located on Swan and Mohawks Streets, Buffalo
  • Plant located at Clinton near Bates, Buffalo
  • Brick at far right: Made by Brush & Schmidt Co, Jewettville. This brick was used in Fr. Baker's Orphanage, Lackawanna (built 1887; demolished c. 1996)