University at Buffalo - Table of Contents

Crosby Hall
South Campus, University at Buffalo
Main Street, Buffalo, NY
University at Buffalo - Official Website

Architects:

E.B. Green and Son

Erected

1932

Style:

Georgian Revival

 Gross Square Feet:

76,088

 Construction Cost:

$520,000

 Building material:

Limestone

Model for Crosby Hall:

Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, Scotland

TEXT Beneath Illustrations


2004 photos
Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Georgian Revival style

  • Ionic capital and top of rounded column shaft
  • Ashlar limestone

Patera

Detail from previous photo

North pavilion

Detail from previous photo


Detail - north pavilion

Detail from previous photo


A visual comparison of Crosby Hall in Buffalo and Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, Scotland indicates the the Buffalo building was modeled after Charlotte Square

Crosby Hall was named by the University Council in honor of the contributions of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Crosby (and their children) to the university's development.

William H. Crosby (d. 1944), a bicycle frame manufacturer, served on the UB Council and was active in the YMCA. At a critical point in the university's history, from 1919 to 1921, he served as university treasurer and also served for a number of years as chair of the finance committee.

Crosby Hall originally housed the School of Business Administration (School of Management) before it became the studio spaces for the School of Architecture and Planning

Architects

In 1933, E.B Green Jr. died of a cerebral hemorrhage. He had been architect-in-charge for the design of Crosby Hall, Norton Hall, and Lockwood Memorial Library at the University of Buffalo. A few years earlier, Green and Sons had won the commission to create a master plan for the entire University, as well as design several key buildings in the plan.

The highly classical plan which the firm produced used Lockwood Library as its focal point (much like the Rotunda in Thomas Jefferson's plan for the University of Virginia) with lesser buildings sited to establish a hierarchy of functions through geometrical relationships. The intent was to create major open space surrounded by academic buildings and auxiliary areas to accommodate student housing, athletic facilities, and service buildings. The strength of their plan lay in its ability to enclose the entire campus and to create a true sense of place and identity..

For approximately ten years, the firm worked on plans for Crosby Hall, Lockwood Library, Norton Union, Hayes Hall, Clark Gymnasium, and the Service Building. Once again, the firm chose the English Renaissance Period as inspiration for the design of the buildings.

From 1933-36, Green Sr. worked on the project until R. Maxwell James joined the firm, which was thenceforth named Green and James until 1945.


Crosby Hall

University at Buffalo Libraries: Crosby Hall
(online April 2016)

The building of Crosby Hall came at a time in the University was at a rapid expansion. As Chancellor Samuel Capen said during his dedicatory address on April 28, 1932:

"Crosby Hall is to the University of Buffalo more than just a building, beautiful and aptly designed for specific instructional purposed. It is at once a fulfillment and a release. It represents the fulfillment of a plan long cherished by Mr. Crosby and the members of his family, as well as by the University community, for the beautification of this campus. For the School of Business Administration it represents a release from limitations which prevented free functioning and growth. It marks the beginning of a new chapter in the altogether unusual history of this University."

Namesake

William H. Crosby (d. 1944) was treasurer of the University. He and his family gave $400,000 to the University for the reconstruction of East Hall, a former county building. The original intention was to use the gifts of the Crosby family to renovate the former county building known as East Hall, and rename the building as Crosby Hall. However, the University decided it was better to demolish the old building, and use the site for an entirely new structure.

History and Chronology
  • 1929 -- (October 7) University Council names Crosby Hall in honor of the contributions of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Crosby, and their children, Helen Crosby, Margaret Crosby McLean, Harry E. Crosby and William Crosby Gardner, to the development of the University.

  • 1931 -- (January 24) Cornerstone ceremony

  • 1931 -- (August) Building Completed

  • 1932 --(April 28) Dedication of Crosby Hall. It became the first permanent home of the School of Business Administration
Building and Construction Information
Architects: Edward B. Green & Son
Cost: $400,000
Size: 61,179 sq. ft.
Crosby Hall
University at Buffalo: Crosby Hall (online April 2016)

William H. Crosby Hall houses classroom and office space for the School of Architecture and Planning. Visitors to the building can see architecture students planning and drafting their projects in Crosby's spacious design area.

Namesake

Crosby Hall was named by the University Council in honor of the contributions of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Crosby and their children to the university's development. William H. Crosby, a bicycle frame manufacturer, served on the UB Council and was active in the YMCA. At a critical point in the university's history, from 1919 to 1921, he served as university treasurer and also served for a number of years as chair of the finance committee. Crosby Hall, completed in 1932, was the first permanent home of the School of Business Administration (now the School of Management).


Photos and their arrangement 2004 Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.