Larkin District - Table of Contents  .............  Hydraulics District - Table of Contents

St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Church /
Delaine Waring African Methodist Episcopal Church
688 Swan at Hagerman streets, Buffalo, NY

Delaine Waring African Methodist Episcopal Church - Official Website (online April 2014)

2014 Photos Beneath Text

Built:
1868-1869
Style:
Romanesque Revival

The Hydraulics boasted several churches which served the spiritual needs of area residents.

St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Church is the oldest surviving church and ecclesiastic building in the neighborhood. It was established in the Hydraulics area by a group of German immigrants (including local butcher John F. Kamman) and the congregation constructed a stately brick Romanesque Revival church building and school at 688 Swan Street in 1868-1869.  - p. 10

St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Church is a vaulted one-story red brick Romanesque Building with a simple end-gabled rectilinear plan with a prominent tower at the south-east corner of the building. This relatively small building features rounded arched stained glass windows, grouped as a set of three at the south end facing Swan Street.

Adjacent to the building is a small one-story gable end brick building with a single round-ached window visible. This building once served as the parlor and Sunday School rooms for the church. St. Matthew’s Church is among the oldest extant buildings in the Hydraulics neighborhood, and was established as a result of the mid-nineteenth-century immigration of Germans into the area. Constructed 1868-69, tower later altered. - F p 12

[On 19 January, 1868]  twenty-three people committed to joining this German language congregation. On 26 January, they organized a building committee to secure the necessary land and build a house of worship.  The residents of the area established the congregation as an independent neighborhood church.  It never functioned as a mission of another congregation nor was it started by any denominational group.

[The congregation moved in 1961.]

St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Church is a vaulted one-story red brick Romanesque Building with a simple end-gabled rectilinear plan with a prominent tower at the south-east corner of the building. This relatively small building features rounded arched stained glass windows, grouped as a set of three at the south end facing Swan Street.

Adjacent to the building is a small one-story gable end brick building with a single round-ached window visible. This building once served as the parlor and Sunday School rooms for the church.

St. Matthew’s Church is among the oldest extant buildings in the Hydraulics neighborhood, and was established as a result of the mid-nineteenth-century immigration of Germans into the area. Constructed 1868-69, tower later altered.

2014 photos


Across the street on Swan Street: Sacred Heart RC Rectory / Larkin’s Men’s Club
Background on Seneca Street: Larkin Building B, C... / Larkin Center of Commerce



Romanesque Revival style



Delaine Waring African Methodist Episcopal Church Buffalo NY Official Website (online April 2014).
Bios: Reverend Joseph Armstrong DeLaine (1898-1974) and Judge Julius Waties Waring (1880-1968)






Center bay



Block modilions ... Corbel table ... Arcaded stained glass windows ... Two details below:



Corbel table



Arcaded stained glass windows



Opalescent glass



Figural window






Main entrance



Opalescent glass



Cast iron  newel ... Cf., same design  at nearby St. Patrick's RC Franciscan Monastery


Cast iron  newel detail



Cast iron  newel detail



Tower, a typical Romanesque Revival  church feature



Tower ... Note belfry



Belfry



Side entrance in tower.



East elevation



Note vertical buttress



Note upper left brackets (next photo below:)



Italianate style wooden brackets




Photos and their arrangement 2014 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.