Market Arcade - Table of Contents

Market Arcade - Exterior
617 Main Street, Buffalo, NY

Erected:

1892

Original owner

G.B. Marshall, who made his fortune in oil. He suggested London's Burlington Arcade as a model for architect E. B. Green
Misc. history:
Once known as the Palace Arcade.
Owned by flour miller G. B. Matthews from 1932-1942.
The first US arcade was built in Providence, RI in 1828.

Architect:

Green & Wicks

External building materials:

Terra cotta and Roman brick

Style:

Status:

.Buffalo landmark

Related site:

The Corridor Arcade, Bath, England



Click on photos for larger size and additional information

Chippewa Street Market/Washington Street Market

Chippewa Street Market/Washington Street Market postcard.

Main St. facade

Acroterion

 

Acroterion: scroll buttress

Romanesque arches

Keystone with carved bison

Coffered soffit with rosettes



Soffit, including yellow Roman bricks



Marble columns

Corinthian capital atop marble pilaster

Leaf-and-dart and beads

Bases of marble pilaster and column

Market Arcade
Table of Contents

Keystone in Romanesque arch over rounded window

Terra cotta festoon

Brass Art Nouveau style door handles




Sources of information:


Photos and their arrangement 2007 Chuck LaChiusa.
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.