Liberty Bank/Liberty Building - Table of Contents

Liberty Bank Building / Liberty Building
424 Main Street, Buffalo, NY
Original name: German-American Bank

Erected:

1925
Building opened:
October 17, 1925
Architect: Alfred Bossom (1881-1965; Englishman)
Addition: 1961

Addition architect:

Duane Lyman Associates
The large addition  to the south side which included an extension to the banking room on the first floor

Sculptor:

Leo Lentelli
Leo Lentelli: A Sculptor of the City Beautiful  (online April 2017)
Wikipedia: Leo Lentelli   (online April 2017)

Style:

Second Renaissance Revival skyscraper


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information
Photos taken in June 2007

 

 

Foreground: City Court

Previous photo - larger size

Brisbane Building

23 stories tall

Civil War Monument

City Hall

Main Place tower and mall

Rapid Transit art


Rand Building at left

28' tall



Cornices

Cornice
Overall shape of (8) windows is Palladian style

Court Street

Beltcourses

Tuscan pilaster capital

 

Renaissance Revival balustrade flanked by ancones

Triangular pediment supported by ancones


Lion (spout?) surrounded by anthemion

Scrolled acanthus and Ancone

Scrolled acanthus



Photos and their arrangement 2007 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..