Annunciation RC Church - Table of Contents

East nave windows - Annunciation RC Church
Our Lady of Hope Parish
257 Lafayette Avenue, Buffalo, NY

On this page:

St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

Jesus Heals a Blind Man

Christ with Children

Marriage of Mary and Joseph

Studio: Each nave window has the signature of The Flanagan & Biedenweg Co. of Chicago, Il.

Style: These windows, typical of the Renaissance style of the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries, depict large figures heavily painted in rich and dark colors.

Double lancet window, each housed in in an architectural canopy. The canopies in the space above the figures are a device first introduced in the fourteenth century when Gothic cathedrals began to soar and windows became taller and narrower.


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Four 2-panel east nave stained glass window

St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

Detail - St. Dominic Receives the Rosary

 

Mary, Queen of Heaven

       

Jesus Heals a Blind Man

Jesus Heals a Blind Man

Jesus Heals a Blind Man

Jesus Heals a Blind Man

Jesus Heals a Blind Man

Detail -Jesus Heals a Blind Man:
Pelican and chicks



All four double lancets
are united by a

trefoil
or quatrefoil

Detail - Jesus Heals a Blind Man


The Flanagan & Biedenweg Co signature


 

 

 

 

Christ with Children

Christ with Children

Christ with Children

Christ with Children

Christ with Children

Detail - Christ with Children

Ornate architectural canopies

 

Detail - Christ with Children

 

 

The Flanagan & Biedenweg Co signature

       

Marriage of Mary and Joseph

Marriage of Mary and Joseph

Marriage of Mary and Joseph

Marriage of Mary and Joseph

Marriage of Mary and Joseph

Detail - Marriage of Mary and Joseph

 

 



Detail - Marriage of Mary and Joseph

The Flanagan & Biedenweg Co signature



Flanagan & Biedenweg

1885: Joseph E. Flanagan and William C. Biedenweg, a German trained craftsman, establish Flanagan & Biedenweg Co.

By 1900 the firm is the largest of the Chicago producers of stained glass windows for residential and ecclesiastic use.

The firm is active until 1953.

- Rolf Achilles, A Chicago Timeline

Flanagan & Biedenweg

Although Flanagan & Biedenweg was Chicago's largest stained class company, only a handful of its art glass windows can be positively identified today: two large occhio windows at St. Vincent de Paul Church (1895-97) and a panel from the Magi Window, presently located in De Paul University's Library (restored in 1992). Joseph Flanagan donated the window...

Both windows are composed of antique glass masterfully painted in the Italian Renaissance style. The east occhio, rich in reds and blues, is especially radiant in the morning light...

The panel of the Magi Window, a magnificent work, won the Grand Prize for American glass at the St. Louis World's Fair of 1904. The expressions of adoration on the faces of the three kings are matched by the wondrous gifts which they bear and by their robes which are encrusted with precious jewels. The window, flawlessly balanced in color and composition, is made entirely of opalescent glass.

- Drehobl Art Glass Co.: Flanagan & Biedenweg



Special thanks to Father George Kirwin, Pastor, for his cooperation in March 2010
and to Consultant Greg Witul for his assistance in research.

Photos and their arrangement 2010 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.