Saint Vincent's Female Orphan Asylum - Table of Contents
George L. Squier
The text below is a reprint of Mark Hubbell, "Our Police and Our City." Buffalo, NY: Bensler & Wesley, 1893.
Although not a native of Buffalo, nor yet, even, of the state, George L. Squier has achieved considerably more than his share in aiding in making the city what she is today
Mr. Squier was born at Lanesboro, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, and is descended from the old Puritans of that name, the first of whom emigrated from England in 1622, just two years subsequent to the landing of the Pilgrim Fathers, and established himself at Salem, Massachusetts.
George L. Squier, after the customary preparation in the district school of his native place, entered Williams College, from which institution he was graduated in 1845.
Upon the completion of his collegiate course he began the study of law, and at the end of three years successfully passed the requisite examination and was admitted to the bar in Springville, Massachusetts, in 1848. He then removed to Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, and there entered upon the practice of his profession.
It was not long, however, before he left the ranks of the legal profession and became connected with the firm of Whittemore, Squier & Company, manufacturers of agricultural implements.
He removed to Buffalo in 1857 and, associating himself with the late D. M. Osborn, of Auburn, New York, established the Buffalo Agricultural Machine Works, whose plant was located on Scott near Washington street; of this organization Mr. Squier was made president. They introduced and placed upon the market the well-known and now indispensable Kirby mower and reaper (which, by the way, was the invention of a Buffalo man), which was manufactured by them for a period of twelve years, when the company's interest in the machine was purchased by Mr. Osborn, who removed to Auburn.
George L. Squier & Brother
The company was then dissolved, but two or three years previously they had engaged in the manufacture of patent sorghum mills and evaporators for the southern and western trades. Upon the dissolution of the company its rights in the patents mentioned were acquired by Mr. Squier who, in partnership with his younger brother, Henry, established works for the manufacture of machines at 53 Carroll street, the firm name being George L. Squier & Brother. Their productions soon found a market, especially in Cuba and Mexico; many improvements were made in their machines, and they also invented and manufactured an ingenious device for the cleaning of rice and coffee, which has had an immense sale.
Henry C. Squier died in 1882, and for two years George L. Squier carried on the business by himself. In December, 1884, he formed a stock company with a capital of two hundred thousand dollars under the name of The Geo. L. Squier manufacturing Company, whose works are located 424 Niagara street, and whose management is vested in the following board of officers: President, George L. Squier; treasurer, George P. Squier; secretary, Fred C. Squier. The business, which almost wholly confined to foreign trade, has grown to large proportions, their machinery finding a ready market in no less than forty-eight foreign countries, the greater bulk, however, of their goods going to Mexico and central and South America. from the countries named they have drawn many millions of dollars, of which Buffalo has, to no inconsiderable extent, reaped the benefit.
Mr. Squier married, in February, 1857, Miss Frances C. Pierce, of Waverly, New York. They have four sons, two of whom have already been mentioned. The other two are Walter W. and William R. the latter is associated with his father, while the former is in business for himself at Lakewood.
Mr. Squier has for a long period been a member and active worker in the Lafayette Street Presbyterian Church, of which he was trustee for fifteen years; elder for twelve years, and superintendent of the Sunday school for six years during the pastorate of Rev. Dr. Heacock. he has never either sought or filled any political office.
1910 photo courtesy of Patrick Mahoney. Click on photo for larger size.