Louis C. Wilson House
148 Soldiers Place, Buffalo, New York

The 2011 National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo Candlelight House Tour


To the right: 152 Soldiers Place



American Renaissance mansion






Ornate rafter tails



Tetrastyle Doric portico






Ornate rafter tails ..... Triglyph and drops



Keystoned terra cotta lintels




Keystoned terra cotta lintels

Brochure entry from
The National Trust for Historic Preservation 2011 Candlelight House Tour
Sponsored by Preservation Buffalo Niagara

The decade following Buffalo’s Niagara-Falls-powered Pan American Exposition of 1901 saw, like harbingers of the energy-hungry century to come, an auto factory [Pierce-Arrow] rise on a portion of the exposition grounds and a Pennsylvania-born oilman named Louis C. Wilson move to the heart of Frederick Law Olmsted’s parkway system.

At 148 Soldiers Place Charles F. Warner, best known for developing Buffalo’s Central Park neighborhood, built for Wilson and his wife an American Renaissance mansion of buff brick with a central hipped dormer, ornate rafter tails, orthogonally bracketed and keystoned terra cotta lintels and an offset tetrastyle Doric portico.

The house’s mid- century owner, Whitworth Ferguson, a director of the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad and founder of the Ferguson Electrical Construction Co., imagined a future of possibilities for American energy production, bringing nuclear research to UB, building a windmill atop his firm’s roof and, coincidentally, rewiring the house that oil built.



Photos and their arrangement 2011 Chuck LaChiusa..
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.