Villa Maria Convent and Chapel - Table of Contents

Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy/Villa Maria Academy,
Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent Chapel and Convent

Felician Sisters Immaculate Heart of Mary Province Official Home Page

Built;

1928

Architect:

 

Style:

Gothic Revival

1928 contractor:

Schuetz Construction Co., Chicago

2005-09 reconstruction architect:

Trautman Associates

Status:

Listed on the State and National Trust for Historic Preservation

The original name of the school was Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy; changed to Villa Maria Academy in 1967.

What looks like a church, in size, is the chapel of the Felician Sisters Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent.



Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Villa Maria Academy (closed 2006)

Villa Maria Academy

Villa Maria Academy

Villa Maria Academy

3 pavilions connected at the rear of the buildings

Villa Maria Academy (closed)

Carved bas-relief sculpture of Mary

Symbols of religious education


Gothic Revival wall sconce

Left: Villa Maria Academy ..... Right: Chapel

Left: Villa Maria Academy ..... Right: Chapel

 

 

 

 

 

Chapel

Chapel

Chapel

Chapel

Gothic Revival style

 

Finials atop crocketed pinnacles

 

 

 

 

Gothic Revival arch features foliated ornaments

Cornerstone

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Convent

Convent

Convent

Convent

 

 

Convent, including new pavilion entrance


 

New main entrance

Grotto

Grotto


Special thanks to Provincial Minister Sister Mary Lorianne Tylczynski, CSSF, and Sister Sharon Marie Dombrowski, CSSF, for their cooperation,
and to
Trautman Associates architect Timothy Rider for his assistance in May 2009

Photos and their arrangement 2009 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.