The Saranac Synagogue:
Congregation Achei Tmimim
85 Saranac Avenue , Buffalo NY
2015 Saranac Avenue
ORIGINALLY BUILT IN 1918 as a Methodist church, the building at 85 Saranac Avenue was sold to Congregation Ner Israel in 1931. Ner Israel was formed by the merger of Congregation Ohav Zedek and Congregation Anshe Zedek.
In 1952 Ner Israel merged with Temple Beth David and moved to 500 Starin Avenue. These shuls shared the Hungarian Chassidic minhagim (customs) and Nusach Sfard, which are still honored in our Shul to the present day.
Yeshivath Achei Tmimim Lubavitz (founded in 1940) purchased the building from Anshe Zedek in April of 1955, and subsequently became Congregation Achei Tmimim, informally known as Saranac Synagogue, The Saranac Shul, or simply, Saranac.
For several years, congregation Achei Tmimim shared its space with The Hebrew Academy of Buffalo, a Jewish day school, and also hosted the North Buffalo Jewish Community Center and a Boy Scout Troop. Several of our current members and quite a few visitors will happily share their memories of those days with whomever is within earshot...you've been warned!
Congregation Achei Tmimim has been in continuous operation from its founding to the present day.