Temple Beth Zion, 599 Delaware Ave.
(Building to the right of the Temple is the Twentieth Century Club)

Byzantine Temple designed by Edward A. and William Kent. On 12 September, 1890, they dedicated their $95.000 house of worship. Constructed of Medina Sandstone, an immense copper dome marked the highly distinguished building. There was also beautiful interior frescoing.

Tragedy struck on 4 October, 1961, when a fire, fueled by flammable liquids being used to refinish the pews, destroyed the building. Within forty minutes of its discovery, the fire destroyed the magnificent central dome, causing it to collapse into the building.

Postcard source: Cofeld Judaic Museum, housed behind the present Temple Beth Zion synagogue.