Reprinted with permission as a public service by the Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier, now the Preservation Buffalo Niagara
During the founding years of the city, the Seneca/Babcock area served as a hunting and fishing ground for the Native population of the area. As much of the land to the south of the city remained forested, they maintained a relatively peaceful relationship with the white man. As the population of the city increased, it encroached upon these unsettled lands to the south.
The year 1827 saw the end to indigenous occupation of the area when the Indians traded a small brick house and the land in the vicinity for a white pony. The original portion of that house stood adjacent to the building at 256 Babcock.
As the population of the city spread into the area in the late 1870s and early 1880s, the area became known as Oakdale after the large number of Oak trees standing there.
The intersection of Babcock and Clinton developed approximately ten years later as a German community, with many of the residents there working in the adjacent railroad yards.
© 1995 James Napora
Page by Chuck LaChiusa with the assistance of David Torke
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... |.....E-Mail ...| .
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.