George Coit House - Photos and history
George Coit House
414 Virginia Street, Buffalo, NY
Erected Circa 1818
The George Coit homestead, southeast corner Swan and Pearl Streets, is built c. 1818. It will be moved from its original site in the 1870s to 414 Virginia Street, as downtown becomes increasingly commercial following the Civil War. In the 1960s it will become a a run-down boardinghouse slated for demolition when the Landmark Society will buy it and sell it to a private owner who will restore it. By 2002, it will possibly be the oldest house in Buffalo and one of its few surviving Federal ones.
"The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo," Severance, Frank H., ed. Buffalo Historical Society, Vol. 16, 1912 (online)