Spencer Kellogg Family in Buffalo, NY
TEXT Beneath Illustrations
Spencer Kellogg & Sons Building on Niagara Square
98 Delaware Avenue, Spencer Kellogg offices
Spencer Kellogg Elevator, 389 Ganson Street
Source: 1905 Buffalo of Today: Domestic and Industrial
1924, bronze, about 3 inches in diameter.
Images courtesy of Larry Johnson.
Source: 1905 Buffalo of Today: Domestic and Industrial
An excerpt from
Buffalo's Delaware Avenue: Mansions and Families
By Edward T. Dunn
Pub. by Canisius College Press, 2003
The next resident at #805 Delaware [now the 1967 Temple Beth Zion] was Spencer Kellogg, who had the Forbush house razed and replaced with a splendid red-brick Georgian mansion with Doric columns which was completed in 1905 at a cost of $500,000.
Kellogg was born in West Galway, New York, in 1851. He graduated from the Gloversville Seminary and was also privately tutored.
In 1875 he married Jane Morris... [See James R. Arnone, Central Park, Buffalo, New York: A Neighborhood of History and Tradition, 2010, pp. 130-131 for history of Jane's parents.]
After his marriage he was engaged briefly in banking in Des Moines. But he moved to Buffalo in 1879 where he founded a linseed oil business, which became Spencer Kellogg & Sons. Flax seed from which this oil is made could easily be brought from the Midwest and North Central States via the Lakes to Buffalo for processing and distribution to eastern markets.
He also became a grain elevator operator, a manufacturer of brooms and brushes, paints and varnishes, white lead, iron and steel, and vegetable oils. Kellogg & Sons became the largest of its kind in the world, with plants and offices throughout the United States and Europe.
In 1910 on the death of Colonel Barnard, owner of the Sizer mansion on Niagara Square, Spencer Kellogg & Sons bought the house, expanded it, and made it company headquarters.
At first the new #805 housed Spencer, fifty-two, his fifty-year old wife Jane, and four children: Howard twenty-four, Gertrude twenty-two, Ruth fifteen, and Dorris eleven. There were five domestics, the majority Irish girls, and in the back an Irish coachman and family. In 1952, when the Kelloggs had long decamped, a reporter recalled the glories of the mansion, not all of them gone:
Before beginning construction of the Kellogg home, architects for the firm of Green & Wicks and plaster workers from Marcott & Co., New York, interior decorators, were sent to Europe to observe various aspects of French and Italian architecture and art for adaptation to the mansion. Throughout its building only the finest materials were used. Fireplaces were of imported marble, balustrades of artistic wrought iron, lighting features of hammered bronze, wrought iron, crystal and gold, doors of solid mahogany, door knobs of cut glass; and the gold leaf ornamentation in the ceiling was very costly. Built into this one-time home are the basement theater, ... an art gallery and the beautiful music room in which more than a hundred persons can be seated without crowding.
Mr. Kellogg collected paintings and other objects of art from many distant countries. One of his favorite paintings was a Thomas Moran landscape. The gold andirons, harmonizing with the color scheme of the mahogany and gold library, came from Egypt. Carved gilded chairs of the reception hall were created in Austria. A table, topped with hand-tooled leather, is of Italian workmanship.
The art gallery is equipped with lighting designed to display paintings to advantage. Bedrooms are spacious and all bathrooms are in marble. Fixtures, including showers, are plated in gold.
The rooms of the first floor are virtually as they were when Mr. Kellogg lived there. In the reception hall, the crimson hangings and upholstery and the crimson velvet carpet have been replaced. The French blue damask covered walls of the drawing room, with its ample fireplace of cream-colored marble surmounted by a gold-framed arched mirror, are impressive. In the ivory and gold music room, the consoles of rare veined marble, selected by Mr. Kellogg, remain,
Spencer Kellogg had a summer home, "Lochevan," in Derby. After his death in 1922, son Howard, who had made this his regular home and had become executive vice-president of the family firm, became president.
Spencer Kellogg's widow remained at #805 for a few years until it was sold to the Town Club, a woman's group founded in 1926, which moved into its new quarters the next year. It had served as a private home for a mere dozen years.
Spencer Kellogg's grandfather [Supplina Kellogg] began milling linseed oil in 1824 in the Mohawk Valley near Amsterdam, New York.
Spencer Kellogg moved to Buffalo and, at age 28, built his first linseed oil mill in 1879. By 1894, he constructed a second mill, giving him a total of 36 presses, making his the largest linseed oil plant in the U.S.
The Spencer Kellogg & Sons, Inc. company, was incorporated in 1912 with its headquarters in Buffalo. In 1940, the company operated four flaxseed crushing plants, four soybean crushing plants, one copra crushing plant in Manila, one castorbean crushing plant and one tung oil rectifying and refining plant in Hankow, China.
Children of Jane Morris and Spencer KelloggSpencer Kellogg, Jr.
By Brian Kellogg Sr.
Elizabeth Miller Kellogg
Gertrude Montgomery Kellogg
Donald Law Kellogg
As an aside, Spencer Kellogg wished for and treasured a large family, and his unsparing summer estate, "Lochevan," in Derby was a group of residences to enfold each of his children, their spouses and their children as well.
A celebration marking the 100th anniversary of the
connection of the Kellogg family with the linseed oil business was begun today by
the officials and personnel of Spencer Kellogg & Sons, Inc. A sales convention
which has brought representatives from the Argentine and other distant points is
being held in conjunction with the observance.
Kellogg, Spencer, Jr.
Born in Amsterdam, N.Y., April 10, 1876, son of Spencer
Kellogg and Jane Morris; home in buffalo and environs since 1879; married to Lida
Deshler Wilson of Leavenworth, Kan., May 31, 1898; one daughter, Mrs. E. H. H. Roth;
general education, Heathcote School, Buffalo; Lawerenceville, one year; Harvard University,
|See also: Ancestry of Spencer Kellogg 1876 - 1944