Buffalo Waterfront - Table of Contents
Buffalo's Waterfront: A Guidebook
This elevator, unlike the St. Mary's complex downriver, was built in 1928 expressly to handle cement. Tall, reinforced concrete cylinders are an economical way to store a variety of commodities, not just grain.
The structural cement for Orchard Park's Rich Stadium, Niagara Falls's Convention Center, and Buffalo's Marine Midland Center (now HSBC Center), M & T Plaza, and Main Place Mall was supplied by Huron Cement.
Cement is drawn for shipment by truck or bagging from the bottoms of the bins by a basement screw conveyor system which has six openings for each bin. This allows for rapid refilling of the packaging and bulk storage bins. Bags are filled to 84-pound weight by an automatic packer.
An adjacent steel tower, 85 feet high, is a bulk loading station and is designed to load a truck in three minutes.
The complex is on Ohio Street on the south bank of the Buffalo River.
See also: Highlights of Buffalo's History, 1928
Page by Chuck LaChiusa.
...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo
Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History
Index... .|....E-Mail ...|
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.