History Online: Salisbury -The Market Place
In the Middle Ages the sale of food seems to have
taken place on the west and south sides. A corn market was held in the 14th and 15th
centuries at the north-west corner of the Market Place near the end of Castle Street;
it was called 'the place where corn is sold'.
Until that time the fruit and vegetable market, as well as that for herbage and
poultry, had been held further south in Minster Street and around the Poultry
Cross. A cross existed here by 1307, and is frequently referred to as the Poultry
Cross or the High Cross.
The present hexagonal cross of stone is of the 15th century, but the top part
was restored in medieval style in 1853. It replaced a single pillar carrying a sundial
and ball which had been added when the cross was repaired in 1711.