Architecture Around the World

Exterior - Municipal House
Prague, Czech Republic

Erected: 1905-1911
Art Nouveau

In the years 1994-1997 the Municipal House underwent a technically and financially demanding restoration. When it was reopened, it once-again became a significant social and cultural center.

Companion page: Interior photos

Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Art Nouveau style



Center pavilion

Karel Spillar's Homage to Prague

Mosaic detail


Art Nouveau style




Art Nouveau style



Roof shingles

Wood cartouche


Paired wooden brackets with Classical details

Fish scale shingles

Municipal House (Obecni Dum) is the premier Art Nouveau building in Prague and was completed in 1911.

Situated on the
site of the former Royal Court Palace, the King's residence between 1383 and 1485. Abandoned for centuries, what remained was used as a seminary and later as a military hospital. it was demolished in the early 1900s to be replaced by he present cultural center (1905-1911) with its exhibition halls and auditorium, designed by Antonin Balsanek assisted by Osvald Polivka.

Municipal House is the main attraction on Republic Square. It is just a few minutes walk from both the Old Town Square & Wenceslas Square.

The exterior is embellished with stucco and allegorical statuary.

On October 28, 1918, the historic proclamation of the independent state of Czechoslovakia took place here.

Municipal House is home to the Czech National Symphony Orchestra and at its heart is the Smetana Hall, one of two main concert halls in Prague.

Photos and their arrangement © 2008 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.