Louis Greenstein House - Table of Contents

Exterior - Louis Greenstein House
64 Tudor Place, Buffalo, NY

Architect:

Louis Greenstein

Erected:

1925

Style:

Tudor Revival

Original owner:

The property was purchased in the name of Shinah Greenstein.
"It is clear that Greenstein’s architectural plans for the home he designed for himself, his wife Shinah, and her brother, Dr. Abraham Aaron" - Barry A. Muskat

An architect's drawing delineates a planned (never built) apartment to be constructed over the garage presumably for the bachelor Dr. Aaron.

 Subsequent owners:

1975 - Richard and Jane Griffin
2003 - Mark Sebastian & David Hall
2012 - Sherry Willoughby and  Jay Bangs
Location:
On the grounds of the former John Albright estate, perhaps in the refuse area of the estate.  Tudor Place was constructed on the grounds of the former John Albright estate

The house was designed by architect Louis Greenstein. Trivia buffs might want to know that it was Greenstein who, early in his career, designed the City of Buffalo flag, winning a $250 prize in 1924. He also designed the Erie County seal still in use today, a design for which he won $100 in 1925. Some of his built works include Columbus Hospital, the Lutheran Home on East Delavan, the Bryant & Stratton School (now Tapestry Charter), and Temple Shaarey Zedek on Starin Avenue. His office was located in the Prudential Building.

It is clear that Greenstein’s architectural plans for the home he designed for himself, his wife Shinah, and her brother, Dr. Abraham Aaron, were created with love and with unsparing attention to every detail.

Shinah Greenstein died first (in 1967), followed by her husband Louis Greenstein (at age eighty-four in 1972). Dr. Aaron (who was an internationally respected gastroenterologist) died in 1975 at the age of eighty-five. The Buffalo Evening News called Aaron “the Elder Statesman of Area Medicine.” The home’s current owners have the newspaper articles of the triad’s achievements along with their obituaries. They also have the original architectural plans and landscape designs for the family’s mausoleum at Forest Lawn.
- Barry A. Muskat, "One Sweet Tudor on Tudor."  Buffalo Spree, December 2007 (online July 2017)


Historic photo  ...   The ivy was stripped by a previous owner.




2017 photos, unless indicated otherwise

Facade


Facade   ...   SW corner of Tudor Place and Cleveland Avenue   ...   Tudor Revival
2016 photo




Facade   ...   Note slate roof and decorative header brick motif   ...   Flemish brick pattern



Facade   ...   Tie rod anchor




Facade   ...   Two details below:


Facade   ...   Detail #1 -  Slate roof




Facade   ...     Detail #2 - Half-timbering with decorated plaster  ...   Wavy edge clapboards and portruding header bricks both reference Tudor era technology  ...   Flemish brick pattern



Facade   ...     Note stained glass and half-timbering



Facade   ...     Entrance bay   ...   Seven details below:




Facade   ...     Detail #1 -  Slate-sided dormer   ...   Half-timbering  



Facade   ...     Detail #2 - Slate-sided dormer 


Facade   ...    Detail #3 - Portico



Detail #3 - Tudor Revival  portico



Facade   ...    Detail #4 - Hoodmold with label stops  over transom light and  strapwork-decorated door



Facade   ...   Detail #5 - Linenfiold decoration on front door



Facade   ...   Detail #5 - Original lantern



Facade   ...   Detail #6



Facade   ...   Detail #7 - Scroll-sawn board   ...   Flemish brick pattern






"The lot is framed along its north border by the brick wall from the original Albright estate. (Neighborhood walkers know that it matches the wall on West Ferry, delineating the enormous perimeter of the original estate.) That wall with its camel-back top was intact, but the owners rebuilt a stacked-stone wall on Tudor Place [at the far right of this photo] and a brick wall in their rear courtyard. The three-car, slate-roofed garage is original and faces Cleveland Avenue." - Barry A. Muskat




2017 photos


SE elevations   ...   Nardin Academy across the street on Cleveland Avenue   ...   Two house details below:




Detail #1 - Cross gable roofs   ...   Wavy edge clapboards   ...   Half-timbering




Detail #2 -  Half-timbering with decorated stucco





North elevation
2017 photos


North elevation   ...
"The lot is framed along its north border by the brick wall from the original Albright estate. (Neighborhood walkers know that it matches the wall on West Ferry, delineating the enormous perimeter of the original estate.) That wall with its camel-back top was intact, but the owners rebuilt a stacked-stone wall on Tudor Place and a brick wall in their rear courtyard. The three-car, slate-roofed garage is original and faces Cleveland Avenue." - Barry A. Muskat

The unuasually high garage roof  was designed to house a boat.  There is a sailboat motif throughout the house.




North elevation   ...    Note oriel window   ...   Brick wall from the original Albright estate


North elevation




Original weather vane




North elevation   ... "The lot is framed along its north border by the brick wall from the original Albright estate. (Neighborhood walkers know that it matches the wall on West Ferry, delineating the enormous perimeter of the original estate.) That wall with its camel-back top was intact ..." - Barry A. Muskat





Back yard
2017 photos



Note awning-covered patio




Awning-covered patio at bottom




Brick wall on side of awning-covered patio




1930 door on the awning-covered patio




Original water feature




Flemish bond brick pattern




Strapwork pattern on back of the 2-seat wooden chair









Side yard
2017 photos


Side yard on Cleveland Avenue across from Nardin Academy





Brick wall from the original Albright estate










Special thanks to owners Sherry Willoughby and  Jay Bangs for their cooperation and assistance in 2017
Except where noted, photos and their arrangement 2017 Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..