St. Paul's - Table of Contents

Illustrated History - St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral
128 Pearl Street, Buffalo, NY

Illustrations - Below dates

Important Dates:


Click on photos for larger size -- and additional information

St. Paul's Church on left and "Old First" on right.

St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church as it appeared in 1849

Sketch Site Plan
on the triangular sloping site

St. Paul's before the spires were built in 1870

"The churches," as they appeared in the early 1880s.

"Old First" Presbyterian Church on right.

Erie Street, Terrace Market and Buffalo Harbor.

An early view of the common in front of the churches (St. Paul's and "Old First").

Behind St. Paul's: Guaranty Building;

Shelton Square, named after the Eminent Rev. William Shelton

Pres. McKinley's funeral cortege passes St. Paul's

Washington Street Baptist Church (left)

Guaranty Building;
Erie Savings Bank (demolished)

Rev. William Shelton

Rev. Dr. Shelton

Ellicott Square Building; The Guaranty Building


For more information, see History of St. Paul's published by the church





1888 fire.
Source: "The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo," Severance, Frank H., ed. Buffalo Historical Society, Vol. 16, 1912, p 115



Source: 1905 Buffalo of Today: Domestic and Industrial


Hulberton Sandstone at St. Paul's


St. Paul’s would need a lot of stone for the cavernous Gothic revival church in the heart of Buffalo. Henry Streater represented the church and went looking for sandstone. He found it in Hulberton [about 20 miles from Medina, NY].
 
Streater bought about 3.5 acres at $80 an acre from Samuel Copeland, according to St. Paul’s church records. It was the first quarry in Hulberton.

The church opened at 128 Pearl St. in 1851, but wasn’t quite done. The 300-foot-high spire was finished in 1870, and used stone from a different Hulberton quarry owned by Alfred Squire.

Although Upjohn, the church designer, initially favored limestone, [Church historian Martha] Neri said the Medina sandstone has proven remarkably durable and was an excellent choice for the cathedral. On May 10, 1888, the church was nearly destroyed by fire. Only the outer Medina sandstone walls and spires remained.

----------

The curved columns in the sanctuary also are made of Medina sandstone.

The church has numerous stained-glass windows that are framed by sandstone. The window over the altar, which shows Christ’s ascension, was made by the Henry Holliday and Company of London. The 11 disciples are also depicted.

The pulpit was carved from Medina sandstone.


Photos and their arrangement 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.