City Hall - Table of Contents

Cleveland and Fillmore Monuments at City Hall
Buffalo, NY

Sculpted:

1930

Sculptor:

Bryant Baker

Statue material:

Bronze

Also by Bryant Baker:

Abraham Lincoln statue in Delaware Park

TEXT Beneath Illustrations


Click on photos for larger size - and additional information

Grover Cleveland

Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail

Bryant Baker

Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail


Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail

Cleveland - Detail

 

       

Millard Fillmore

Millard Fillmore

Millard Fillmore

Millard Fillmore

Millard Fillmore

Fillmore - Detail

Fillmore - Detail

Fillmore - Detail


Fillmore - Detail

Fillmore - Detail

Fillmore - Detail

 

Excerpt from
Buffalo City Hall: American Masterpiece," by John H. Conlin
Pub. by the Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier, 1993, p. 18

The three-story diagonal walls on the north and the south side of the front elevation are each used as backdrops for monuments to the two Buffalo men who became presidents of the United States. These monuments are part of the original design of City Hall. The granite wall which forms the base of City Hall carries beyond the building in two converging walls which stop short of meeting, leaving an opening for steps to a raised terrace, in the center of which stands a carved marble block, serving as a base for the bronze statue. It is appropriate that City Hall, which everywhere shows a concern for the history and place of Buffalo, should have such memorials.

The two bronze statues are the work of Bryant Baker, a New York City sculptor, chosen as the result of a state-wide competition. He was the sculptor of statues and busts of royalty. His best known work is the "Pioneer Woman" at Ponca, Oklahoma.

Millard Fillmore stands on the south side and Grover Cleveland on the north.

The block on which Cleveland stands bears the phrase "I have tried so hard to do right." Grover Cleveland was mayor of Buffalo in 1882; he was sheriff of Erie County, governor of New York, and twice president of the United States.

The parapet wall, high above the statues, with stylized eagles at each end, was originally twice as high as at present. The walls were reduced when they became unstable. Inscriptions referring to each president were removed by the lowering of the walls.


Photos and their arrangement 2008 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.